What are the minimum requirements for charging a Macbook Air battery?

Reaction score
Hey,

Does the battery power cable need to be plugged in around the clock in a Macbook Air?

Or is it OK to have it unplugged a few hours per day until it reaches a certain minimum battery level or maximum battery level?

Maybe some reliable sources about this for further reading?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi @toka and thank you for your post.

Does the battery power cable need to be plugged in around the clock in a Macbook Air?

No.

Or is it OK to have it unplugged a few hours per day until it reaches a certain minimum battery level or maximum battery level?

Yes.

The monosyllabic replies above are the short answer to a complex topic. Generally speaking, plug in power when you have heavy duty requirements on the MBA - photo or video editing or complex spreadsheets to compose and/or analyse; that sort of thing. Otherwise, you can use the Mac till battery falls to around 50-60%, then recharge.

I should emphasise that battery usage and management is a complex subject and there are as many opinions as there are people willing to offer them.

As for further reading:

Understanding Lithium-ion
BU-204: How do Lithium Batteries Work?

Enjoy!

Ian

Reaction score
I have my late 2011 MacBook Pro, it has from what I am guessing the original battery, with around 600 cycles on it, just recent it started showing service recommended, and since it is around 10 years old, to be expected... if I do not decide to max out the credit card and get the new m-series pro, I will likely order a battery for it since it still works awesome and does everything I want it to extremely well, and since I did the patch to be able to run Catalina, which it runs flawlessly.... unless I decide I want to max out a credit card there is really no need for a new laptop, however I do like the new m1 MacBook Pro my friend has, I still get around 3 hours out of the original battery, and could likely get more if I let it get lower than 25%.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.