Well, that's new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
They just delivered the new MacBook Pro that I ordered from Apple and, much to my surprise, it has no usb and/or thunderbolt connections. I probably knew that, but I had forgotten, so now I need to get the proper adapters. That means that I need adapters for usb and thunderbolt or dvi cables, one for drives and the other for a monitor.

I have looked online, but I see things like USB-C and do not really know what that is. I need a Lightning to usb (female) adapter for the usb 3 cables I already have. Can anyone point me to the proper one? And are there non-Apple (ie, less expensive) adapters that actually work? Or do I need to get one from the Apple Store?

Thank you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very personal view, of course; but when it comes to cables and adaptors, I always go to Apple first.

Sure, others are cheaper, but reliability is key in this area and I believe Apple has that.

What I'd do is go on to the Apple Store website for your country, click on "Accessories" - pick out all you need from the initial offering (the description of each item's function is good), then at the bottom of the pages, choose "Power & Cables" for a whole lot more.

That covers all the cables, adapters etc, etc.

Ian

PS I forgot - enjoy your new MacBook Pro!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A very personal view, of course; but when it comes to cables and adaptors, I always go to Apple first.

Sure, others are cheaper, but reliability is key in this area and I believe Apple has that.

What I'd do is go on to the Apple Store website for your country, click on "Accessories" - pick out all you need from the initial offering (the description of each item's function is good), then at the bottom of the pages, choose "Power & Cables" for a whole lot more.
Actually I did that first, before I posted. I found a lot of Lightning adapters, but none of them seemed to fit except one, and even that one left me with some questions.

Here is the connector page link: https://www.apple.com/us/search/lightning-adapter?page=1&sel=accessories&src=globalnav#!&f=usb-usb3&fh=30a8%2B30a3
The Lightning to USB cable will not fit into a usb-3 drive and I can not use it to hook my cable to because it is a male connector and I need a female connector.

Most of the other cables are listed as USB Camera, so I do not know that they are what I need. I just thought that someone on this forum probably solved this problem and could point me to an actual working adapter. I do not want to order one from Amazon as they only have non-Apple adapters and I do not know if they will work, and my other option is the Apple Store.

PS I forgot - enjoy your new MacBook Pro!!
Thank you.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are a couple of manufacturers of components including cables and connectors that Apple have given their stamp of approval to like Belkin and Mophie which you can occasionally pick up cheaper than at an Apple store. Have a look here https://www.apple.com/shop/accessories/all-accessories/power-cables?page=1#!&f=charger&fh=459d+45d4 you will see a number of third party accessories.
Did you get the Retina MBP. If so you will love the colour and resolution as I do but I did have an issue with delamination of the non reflective screen. I was as though the surface was separating from the screen. Another good reason to have Apple Care which I had but as it was already a recognized issue for the 2015 model while I was back in Melbourne I took it to my nearest Apple store and they replaced the screen no questions asked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apple actually bailed on some of the USB-C adapters and deferred to Belkin. They don't make an ethernet dongle, nor they do they make a data cable for their own Migration Assistant tool. Their site for said tool even says to get a Belkin cable for that.

As for the OP, I'm not sure how you bought a MacBook Pro without knowing/seeing the ports. Apple's MacBook Pro page has views of both sides of the chassis one scroll down the screen. It also got.. mentioned.. a little... when the 2016 MBP debuted.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for the OP, I'm not sure how you bought a MacBook Pro without knowing/seeing the ports. Apple's MacBook Pro page has views of both sides of the chassis one scroll down the screen. It also got.. mentioned.. a little... when the 2016 MBP debuted.
As embarrassed as I am about that, it is a fair question.

I used to have a MacBook Pro (Early 2013), which I gave to a family member when I bought my Mini, so I was aware of what connectors were on it (usb 3, thunderbolt, etc) and had not looked at the new ones since I now use the Mini. When another family member suggested I get her a MacBook Pro I just assumed it had the same connections and ordered it from Apple without paying any attention to the images. After all, I already I thought I knew what cables worked with it.

So, yes, I was careless and did not pay attention. I am blaming only myself, but it does not much matter as the MBP is a great machine and it is only a matter of a little inconvenience that I will have to buy new connector cables. Still, it is another life lesson learned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Might be worth it to look for a USB-C hub type device, with multiple type of ports?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might be worth it to look for a USB-C hub type device, with multiple type of ports?
I think so.

I bought something called a HyperDrive USB-C Hub, which contains ports for usb-3, HDMI, usb-c, sd and micro-sd cards. You can see the device here. Hopefully it will live up to its advertising, or at least come close to doing that.

I also went to the Apple Store to buy a usb-c to usb-3 adapter ($20) to use until the hub comes in. While I was there I asked about other connectors for usb-c and was told by one of the sales people that Apple is not really doing that much, but expecting that the market will pick up the on the need. I guess they don't want to be bothered by the "small stuff".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Mike:

It does seem that USB-c is becoming more popular as other manufacturers of computers are now providing that connection with their new models. Apple - the first with SCSI, Firewire, and now USB-c. What's next? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.