Weird Apple Logo issue.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used MacBook Pro 3,1 off ebay for $130.00. There is a weird issue with the Apple logo on the back of the screen that wasn't in the description photos. There appears to be somekind of material outlined in black marker underneath the glowing logo. It really doesn't bother me, unless it might cause other issues down the road. The scratch on the back was in the description, but not the weird material underneath the logo. Does anybody have any idea what it might be? Should I return it? I've included some pictures. Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Renick Marsh
IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1232.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That looks like the material that is used for the logo has been moved out of place. It could cause issues with the display connections if they are behind the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would retun it in a flash if the seller wil ltake it back. Were you aware this is nearly a ten year old MBP that will not run anything past Lion OS X.7, now five operating systems behind the current version. Suggest putting the money into at least a 2010 model. If the pocket runs to it, here is one at $385 from a dealer who provides a warranty and it will run the latest operating system, macOS Sierra, OS X.12. It comes with 4GB of memory and a 250GB hard disk drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Apple-Ma...462197?hash=item1c76d08875:g:Ut8AAOSwgZ1XvJSC

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
To harryb2448,

You're incorrect. The laptop officially supports El Capitan and even came with a fresh install of OS X 10.11. Even with 3 GB of RAM, El Capitan seemed a little slow for my taste, so I installed OS X 10.6.8 and it's screaming fast now. When mainstream browsers like Firefox stop supporting older operating systems, I'll probably eventually move to Linux. It seems like every OS X version after OS X 10.8, has gotten slower and buggier. Here's an eye opener...El Capitan at idle uses 1.2 GB RAM and CPU's around 20-30%. Snow Leopard uses just over 530 MB and CPU's are barely over 2-3%. I also specifically went for a 2007 model because I wanted a matte screen. I hate glossy screens. Too much reflection and inaccurate color reproduction. Now I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to 4GB or 6GB. The laptop only supports up to 6GB of RAM. How much of speed hit do you take, if the RAM isn't installed in matching pairs???

Also, I went ahead and got an extended one year warranty from SquareTrade for 50.00 bucks.

OP
C
Reaction score
To ferrarr,

The seller offered a refund, but I decided to keep the laptop after all. After some extensive research it looks like the material behind the Apple logo is just a paper/film like filter. If it ever drops below the Apple logo, I'll just take the back of the screen off, and remove or replace the filter myself. It doesn't look that difficult...knock on wood. I think the sticky filter came loose during shipping. Anyway, all's good...no worries :) The following is a link to a YouTube video that shows how to replace the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWalNcAJeP0

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Renick Marsh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.