Weather information/alerts on OS X 10.11.5

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, I just want to say that I am brand new to the world of software development (most of my coding experience is in fairly basic web development), so I apologize in advance for if I seem clueless for writing this post. Recently I've gained an interest in AI development. Since Macs don't have Siri on them, I'm using enhanced dictation. So here's my question: Is there a way for me to tell my computer to pull a weather report from Accuweather? Weather.com is highly unreliable in my area, and I know I could just go to Accuweather's website, but that's not as fun as having my computer give me the report on its own. I'm somewhat familiar with Automator and am working on learning Script Editor.

Also, if I wanted to have my computer notify me when there's a severe weather warning/advisory in my current location (wherever that happens to be when I'm using my computer), is there a way for me to create a script that does that?

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't word my question very well! You're right, there are resources that can give me the alerts I'm looking for (and thank you for finding some of them for me!). But I'm wondering how to create an alert system for OS X on my own. It seems like an interesting thing to start with as I learn how to program in OS X. Do you know how I might go about creating that? Even just the type of code to use would be really helpful!

Thanks again for finding those resources, and sorry for my delayed response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's probably more a question for the Mac programming types, so probably best to google the more specific question and/or ask at the various mac programming type forums.

I'm not into programming but there may be something in Automator or AppleScript and the free Xcode and maybe the new Swift code.
Apple has it's own developer site if there's some info that would be useful to you, and if you can even understand what they're saying.

PS: Something you better learn right from the beginning, just like your original question should have been — programming is a very precise language!!!

And don't create a make work, waste time project or re-create the wheel unless it's going to be a much better wheel. And good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.