way too hot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
when i run any large programs (photoshop, flash, garageband ...etc) my macbook gets overly hot. i don't think this is good for my hardware at all... the average temperature of it when it's being normal is 118F, with any large program open: 156F, and while converting avi files, has gone up to 187F... any suggestions? 'cause i doubt this is to be expected.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no, that sounds about right. actually your resting temp is cooler than mine. at rest i avg in the 120-130F range. under moderate constant load between 130-150F, and at times under heavy strain from gaming and such, it has hit the 180s. i might suggest making sure that you're converting avi files with little additional strain on the macbook (no, or few, other apps running, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I agree with eric. Mac laptops get REALLY HOT.. its always been that way as long as I can remember.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
On the other hand, unlike all other laptops I've used, you can never hear the fan unless you're running something processor intensive.

On other machines, the fan spins up enough to be annoying once in a while, even when the cpu is idle. Not so with the MacBook. Great!

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear this is normal. Unlike my PC I can not add more fans to a macbook lol.
I get up to 70-80 degreees celsius when running FCP.
I heard 90 degrees celsius is bad though and can even melt the CPU's socket... is that true?

J

jamesx

the computer will turn itself off before it does any dameage from overheaing

Reaction score
Ok good.
So lets say
50 degrees surfing the internet
70 degrees using webcam
80-90 degrees using Final Cut Pro

that seems about right?
I have also bought a cooling pad from targus. I am not sure how much it is helping though.

Reaction score
yes, mine runs hot and i am concidering putting a bigger drive in.

I was concidering aound the 120-160G mark and maybe a 7200rpm.

Can the macbook (not pro...) handle this?

thanks

jn

Reaction score
I got a iLap for mine and it runs nice and cool now, keeps my lap cool as well. Also has some nice cushy writs wrests. Your temps sound about right but I wasn't comfortable using a computer that hot. A nice computer designed lap desks solves your discomfort and cools the laptop better. (Yes laptop darn it, I don't care what apple calls it I bought it to use it on my lap.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB mem
So 180F is okay? I'm ripping a CD if that matters but I have noticed that my macbook getse really hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.