Wanting to know of a good Diabetes App . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have been recently (as of last Monday) diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes, and my Diabetes Educator has given me this big book to monitor all readings of BG (Blood Glucose) and food intake and so on, but me being the techie I am, is wanting to get a App that can do the job, as well as one that can make up weekly/monthly reports I could email from the App to my Dr.
I would like to hear from people that actually use a App, or who are Diabetic, so I don't have any hearsay, just facts. This is huge turn for me, and massive change in lifestyle.

If you aren't happy posting into the thread, as I know it can be a sensitive issue, then I'm happy for you to PM me.

Any online communities, links, or anything that you found useful, be sure to link me too it.

Thanks to all in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Brent:

I don't know of an app but just wanted to say that I do volunteer work where there are lots of folks who are diabetic. Make sure you take good care of yourself as diabetes is a disease that can lead to many other health problems.

And yes, your lifestyle from now on is going to be different but with good sense and paying attention to your glucose levels, you'll live to be over 100. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I was diagnosed with type 2 around 2000 ish. It is a change in lifestyle sure enough, but not too difficult. You can get apps but this is with certain BGL machines. I don't make use of it, preferring to just read back off the machine which stores data such as levels, date and time of tests.

I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but cutting back on alcohol, sugary foods and drinks (as in most things you like) and getting exercise are the main ones. Have a look for books on low GI diet. It's not actually a diet, but the way we should probably all be eating. Get your eyes tested every two years max' and see podiatrists to check that your feet are ok.

Above all, don't stress about it. :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey Charlie, thanks mate. Now I know this you are my goto guy for answers ;P lol I do know what your saying though. Cheers

Pete: Appreciate the post mate. The Educator here and the nurses mention Podiatrist and Eyes, but they didn't make much of it, but looking at the Diabetes Western Australia site, they are big on those sort of checkup.
Its mainly excersise and eating for me, as don't drink anymore, but drinking the way I did in the Army could have been part reason I have it now (still waiting on antibodies test's to come back)

I have a Accu-Check Performa Basic model, but I have the gadgets, so I want to take use of them, as a diary and then able to email off weekly reports to my GP and Educator for the first 2 months so they can keep a eye on things.
My Educator says she is getting some (stick in the end of phone thingy's) so ill e what she comes up with when the Repo comes around next. My tester has a IR sensor so it might even be for a Data App ??

Anyways thanks for the info :)

Cheers

Reaction score
I use Diabetes Pal from the App Store. I don't think it interfaces with any machines, I just use it to record my blood sugar and blood pressure.
It can record Insulin, Glucose, Carbs, Medication, Activity, Ketone, HbA1C, Weight/Height, and Blood Pressure.
Does charts and graphs and reports. Last time I went to the Dr. she was impressed with my glucose chart.
Then again, she's a young little thing :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Last time I went to the Dr. she was impressed with my glucose chart.
Then again, she's a young little thing

Just be careful when that "young little thing" checks your blood pressure! ;D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sorry to hear about it, Brent.
My dad and older brother both passed due to complications from diabetes, and I have flirted with the problem myself, so you have my sympathy.
About 15 years ago it looked like I was destined for the old insulin needle myself, but a lifestyle change (carb reduction) helped me drop 10 inches off my waist and so far has kept diabetes at bay.

Best advice I can give was already given, and that is diet and exercise. Know the exercise can be tough with your back issues, but walking and sunshine will do wonders if you can swing it.
One other thing I will add is avoid diet sweetners (Splenda, sweet n lo, etc) like the plague. Besides all the other issues noted with them, recent research is starting to link them to increases in diabetes and obesity.
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I ran across this the other day:

http://www.ihealthlabs.com/glucometer/

I am thinking about getting one of the blood pressure monitors as I have high blood pressure and I have to keep an eye on it. I remember seeing the glucometers listed there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 20 years ago. First it was controlled by diet, then pills. They increased over the years as the pancreas slowly reduced it's output of insulin. Recently I tried cutting down on my food intake, but it made minimal difference. I'm at the lower end of my bmi, so not overweight.

I was taking 2 metformin 500gm and 2 gliclazide 80mg with my breakfast, and the same with my evening meal. It's surprising how easy it is to get used to it, and always keeping some medication with you in case you eat out, and if out walking taking some glucose tablets and oatcakes with you in case you go low with the extra exercise. Six weeks ago I started on insulin, reducing the gliclazide to 2 a day, then none. I retained the metformin as they are slow acting. If you have to eventually use insulin, you soon get used to it. The insulin pen uses tiny screw on needles, most of the time you never feel them going in. I found my vegetarian diet ideal for diabetes. If I eat out in the evening I take my insulin pen with me. While sitting at the table it's easy to undo the shirt button above my belt and inject without it being obvious.

I use a Nexus Gluco RX for testing, it has a mini USB port, but I've never used it. It stores previous tests. The only time I keep a written record of readings is typically for week before a doctors checkup, or like now when my medication is changing and the amount of insulin I take is being fine tuned. I simply use excel to record food intake, insulin used and readings. I also use an Omron M2 Basic for checking blood pressure.

As long as you eat sensibly, exercise regularly and have good control you will be ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hang in there Brent and don't PANIC!!

I was diagnosed in 1991 and the best app I have used for BGL is Excel like Steve and a Verio One Step for testing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear the news Brent. My wife has Type II…has had it for a while…and really…it doesn't seem to have altered her life style or ours together. About a year ago she switched from pills to insulin injections (once/day). Of course she tracks blood glucose daily.

The only thing she does that maybe a non-diabetic person may not do is…if we are going to do something exercise related (running, cycling, hiking, etc.)…she brings a small sweet to eat item…just in case. But many times she doesn't need it (but good to have it).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
hello i can answer this there are several glucose meters that communicate with smart phones including iPhones android and even others including a usb smart meter but they are expensive around 399.99 to 599.99 for a meter diabetes is expensive to keep in check it has really gotten out of hand

Reaction score
I have several meters, but have pretty much settled on the Accu Chek. This one is supposed (by Dr. Bernstein and Associates) to be the most accurate. It does communicate by infra red, but you have to buy a receiver (which plugs into a USB port) and they only have a driver for Windows. I use Diabetes Pilot, and manually transfer the data. I only check once per day, take only Metformin but have managed to get my A1C consistently below 5 so I don't need or use insulin. I also have high blood pressure, which Diabetes Pilot tracks as well. So far it has served me well. -- Larry

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow !!!

Thanks for all the replies.

@Craig ~ I did see that when I searched Safari and looked like the best out there, with the reports and all, but not available in the Aust Store so I'm gathering it only reads in mg/dl where we use the mmo/L here. a Shame.

@Mike ~ Thanks mate. One thing I didn't know was about those sweeteners, as I actually use Hermesetas as my sweetener. Ill have to rebook into that.

@Mitch ~ Thanks for the link mate. I think ill stay away from those sort of Meters as I have Accu- Chek and with the strips, and insulin pens and needles, its all subsidised by the Aust Government, and cost me a few $ a Mth.

@Steve _ Good info mate. Cheers. Im on metformin 2, but 1 in morning and 1 at night, with some other little Tablet as well. I also am on the insulin as well, because I was up around 24 mmo/L and couldn't get below 16 for 4 days. It will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next couple of weeks.
Im not a Excel/Numbers man, but I might have to look into it, because what I have seen, is you can input your data, then it works out a graph for you ??

@Harry ~ Thanks mate, but as said to Steve, I don't have the foggiest how to use Excel or numbers, but might be good time to start learning.

@Nick ~ The biggest change for me is exercise, and as Mike stated, with my back I'm just going to be doing nice walks with the dog and my camera and will take it from there. Little steps at a time.

I appreciate all responses and everyones well wishes. This is new page in my life and I will be looking forward to the change in a good way :)

I have just found out that the Aust DVA will cover all costs for me, so I'm suppose I'm lucky there :)

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just found out that the Aust DVA will cover all costs for me, so I'm suppose I'm lucky there

Not lucky Mate, you earned it! ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was going to say the same thing (you earned it/deserve it)!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.