Want to use a webcam on msn messenger... virtual pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
I want to buy a webcam to go on msn messenger because everybody that I know use webcams on messenger with a pc!

I already know that the mac version of messenger does'nt support webcam so, what is the best way to use a webcam and msn messenger anyway? I heard about a software call virtual pc... will it work on a emac? How it work and will it work?

Somebody already use it this way or have another advice..
Thank!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Someone said that microsoft was about to release a new version of the messenger for the mac with web cam support, might be worth waiting it out if they still plan on releasing it.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Thanks for this advice mdavis71, but it's been 3 years now that microsoft was suppose to have launch a mac version of messenger that can support a webcam! I don't know why, but I think that it's in there interest to keep it this way... Maybe they think that it will force us to buy a PC and use more microsoft produts! ;)

T

tajjster

Anyone feel like hacking their webcam protocol, and either:
a) developing a new msn client for mac
b) integrating it into an existing msn client for mac
c) integrating it into an exisitng non-msn client for mac, and include msn support?

Alternatively, and I say this but I don't do it.. you could persuade your friends to use AOL, and hence you could use iChat? I'm in Australia, so most of my friends, like yours, use msn, which is a bugger :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Wow, it really must just vary upon the area that you live as to what software you use. I instant messenge a lot, but there is not one person I know who uses MSN messenger near me, all have downloaded the AIM software. I'd persuade your friends to convert to AIM. That's free. For myself, I just couldn't justify forking over the money for virtual pc, which when running, would severely slow down my PB, than spending it on say, an accessory, or putting it in "the fund" for like a 1 GB ram stick or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
yahoo instant messenger supports webcams

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HUM!?! Unfortunately I can't make all of my friends change to AIM or Yahoo.. Why they would to that, for the only «weirdo» that use a Mac among them!! ha! ha!
So nobody have a solution or tried a webcam with virtual pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bellastrada said:
HUM!?! Unfortunately I can't make all of my friends change to AIM or Yahoo.. Why they would to that, for the only «weirdo» that use a Mac among them!! ha! ha!
So nobody have a solution or tried a webcam with virtual pc?
well apparently you are smarter than your friends

I

iDVFH.

The question I would like to know is who uses MSN Messenger? Lol. No one on Staten Island I can say that much. Most of us have AOL for Broadband. Only me and my other friend haved Mac's but I find AIM or AOL the best means of communication.

I

iDVFH.

fearlessfreap24 said:
well apparently you are smarter than your friends

fearless..im not sure about the exact guidelines but isn't linking to other mac forums prohibited? (even in your signature)

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDVFH there's a lot of people that use msn messenger! But if you take Yahoo messenger for exemple, that's the most popular in Europe, AIM is more popular in US than other countries I think, and msn messenger is more popular in Quebec, Canada... The world is larger than Staten Island my dear friend! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDVFH. said:
fearless..im not sure about the exact guidelines but isn't linking to other mac forums prohibited? (even in your signature)

Forum Rules said:
Signature Rules:
You can have one (1) image in your signature

This image can be 480 pixels wide and 80 pixel high ( IE: 480x80 )

This image can be up to 15K in filesize

You may have 4 lines of text in ADDITION to the image

You may have as many links as you like, just adhere to the 4 lines rule

the links are fine, taking care of the pic now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I have the same problem, MSN 6.0 for mac will be in 2006 and Mercury Messenger does "Video Conference" but thats one way only....

C

chocciekid

I suggest mercury messenger, basically its msn 7 (the beta version) for mac, you can see cam but you can't show off your cam If you see what I mean. Take a look at the apple site on the downloads page, they have some great alternitives to msn.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chocciekid, Mercury messenger working pretty well and I can see others webcam. Just hope that they gonna do something about mac webcam soon..!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Macbook 13", Combo, 160G, 2GB RAM
Webcam For Mac Messenger

i recently bought a macbook thinking i could use it for webcam on mac messenger. obviously not. so i searched for a program called AMSN.

it works but the program can run slow..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Sorry but I'm a little confused. I am on a Mac, but what can I use on the Mac that others on PC's can interact with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
MaDDoG.... Skype works like a charm, for Webcam. Yeah I know it isn't MSN and that means you'll have to get everyone to Switch to Skype.

aMSN as mentioned above works for Webcam with MSN but runs a bit slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.