• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

waiting for Merom...

Reaction score
I think you guys are gunna be in for a shock when they dont even mention anyting bout core2duo lol

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
baggss said:
While the jump from a G4 to a Core Duo was huge, the jump from a G5 to one wasn't as big as Apple likes to claim....

Very true, but the reason I said G4 is because Merom is a mobile chip. The jump from a G5 to what will likely be Woodcrest may be more than you think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
ezhangin said:
Very true, but the reason I said G4 is because Merom is a mobile chip. The jump from a G5 to what will likely be Woodcrest may be more than you think.

It may be, but there is point of diminishing returns here. My G5 screams, and likely will for some years, the Intel based replacement will likely scream as well. How much do you need though? At some point, when they all scream, what is the difference?

This is my problem with hyped up advertising. If you were to believe Apple the entire PPC line were one big POS and Macs never really ran until they put an Intel chip in them. I think we all know that is a crock. Sure, if your editing Video more power is good, but how many super duper mega-Ghz chips does it take to surf the forums and check your e-mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
HERE is a link to an interesting FAQ about the new chips. They mention Apple on the second page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Some info from intel.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Intel Launching 'Merom' Notebook Processor |
| from the dept. |
| posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday July 25, @07:52 (Intel) |
| http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/25/034247 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

Hans Pecheston writes "Merom, [0]Intel's notebook processor, will be joining in the festivities at their upcoming launch event. This chip will continue to use the Core 2 Duo brand and should display additional improvements in performance and power consumption over the current chips.
Intel has already begun to ship Merom processors to its PC customers and systems with Merom should begin to appear around the end of August."

Discuss this story at:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/07/25/034247

Links:
0. http://www.zdnetasia. [/quote] ...system for those who dont need all the power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AFAIK, only the CPUs on the MBs and MBPs are soldered on. I have read reports about folks upgrading early Intel iMacs and MacMinis with newer chips already.

The "Average Joe" isn't going to do any research, he's going to get one of those shiney new iMacs that he has heard so much about. Again, this is where I blame over-hyped advertising. People only want the fastest and newest beacause Intel convinced them years ago that faster was always better. After all, getting that P2 chip would make your internet run much faster!

Reaction score
Mathiau said:
Some info from intel.

This is where smart shopping and consumers come in, people who do their research, for anyone who does just basic email and web stuff, buy an old G3 or G4.

The problem is people want to buy the latest and greatest, even if they wont ever use all of the power, it is a bragging right to them, and a waste of money too.

If Apple would stop soldering in their CPU's, they could offer in store customizable system and include some single core duo system for those who dont need all the power.

I see where you are coming from... for example, my wife wants a macbook now too... thing is, she will never do the things I do on this computer, she will just use it for basic stuff... like chat/email/internet... now i'm gunna have to spend ~1100 bux just so she can have a macbook with more power then she needs... if there was a 'barebone' system macbook where I could just have the store put in a solo chip, I would do it... not to mention it would prolly run me ~200 bux cheaper then a duo...

but they dont offer it.... well guess what though... since they dont offer it, and my wife wants a macbook, i'm gunna spend 1100 bux instead of 900.... which works in their favor...

maybe this is why they dotn do this... because ppl will buy it anyways...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
taseal said:
maybe this is why they dotn do this... because ppl will buy it anyways...

BINGO!

Reaction score
baggss said:

just like with black macbooks... it offers nothing but a diff color...

but there are alot of ppl who will pay it, just to be diff....

just like ppl who buy a top of the line macbook with abilities they wont use....

just showing off whats better :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
alucard said:
HERE is a link to an interesting FAQ about the new chips. They mention Apple on the second page.

LOL, they mention that Apple uses Pentium D processors in the new Macs. The Pentium D is a far cry from the Core Duo. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
dohidied said:
LOL, they mention that Apple uses Pentium D processors in the new Macs. The Pentium D is a far cry from the Core Duo. :black:

Yea, I found that interesting too. I guess they need to do some more research :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALOT more research...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Wired has corrected the article.

Is there any current buzz about whether the next rev of the iMac will use Merom or Conroe?

Hopefully the Conroe/Merom will be out and all bugs ironed out by the time I am ready to buy. This time next year. My current 2.0GHz G5, which is still a speedy demon, will enter retirement after a little over 2 years of service, and go to some one else in the family. I will get the new Intel system for when I start the hard core comp/sci studies and I will need the ability to run windows more often.

To the new to mac/waiting for a mac people, be sure to watch the keynote after it is uploaded to Apple's website. Steve Jobs makes quite a presentation.

May favorite Steve moment was before the Intel switch. Steve was demoing the stuff in Tiger. Then he begins to talk about the "Intel rumors". The next slide states simply "It's true!" with the 'e' dropped a little lower, as in the intel logo. He goes on to say something like "How fast are the intel machines? Well, they are pretty darn quick....in fact..."...he looks the the machine he had been using all day...looks back at the crowd and shakes his head 'yes'..."I've been using an intel machine the whole demo". Yes, I am an über geek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merom is the mobile version of Conroe. :), and it currently has no bugs i am aware of, and i am sure the intel based mobo's Intel will provide apple should be rather bug free, but i guess things like the random shutting down of many people's macbooks is a problem that could creep up.

once merom comes out for the laptops - i would say a good 2-3 months before buying, as you said, let any possible bugs get found out so you dont have to suffer from them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.