vmware tếch preview Windows 11 vm - file transfer between guest and host

Reaction score
I am running windows 11 Virtual machine using VMware tech preview. Everything is fine. But file transfer between guest and host is not possible for me. I read it needs VMware tools. But install VMware tools option is greyed out. Any one using same windows 11 vm like me. If so how about guest, host file transfer?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Tech Preview, is just that, a preview. It isn't meant to be replicate all the functionality that the stable version of VMWare has. The VMWare Tools are indeed the way of getting things shared between host and guest, so if that isn't available, you'll have to go to old-school and copy data to a USB drive and assuming that functionality is working you can connect/disconnect it from the host and guest to get things over.

Reaction score
The Tech Preview, is just that, a preview. It isn't meant to be replicate all the functionality that the stable version of VMWare has. The VMWare Tools are indeed the way of getting things shared between host and guest, so if that isn't available, you'll have to go to old-school and copy data to a USB drive and assuming that functionality is working you can connect/disconnect it from the host and guest to get things over.
If the OP sets his Mac up as a file server via System Preferences, he could use, say, smb or sftp to transfer files.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.