VMware & BootCamp question.

Reaction score
i have VMware fusion but when i run it, i don't think much of my cpu power is running with it. is that true? if so, would me running windows via bootcamp allow me to use full cpu power for windows?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you might be a little confused there. Fusion can use up as much CPU resources as your computer has. There is very little overhead. The big difference would be in playing games where you'd need full 3D acceleration. In that case, Boot Camp would be the better option.

More information here.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
I think you might be a little confused there. Fusion can use up as much CPU resources as your computer has. There is very little overhead. The big difference would be in playing games where you'd need full 3D acceleration. In that case, Boot Camp would be the better option.

More information here.

i don't need it for games but something very similar. but this answers my question exactly. thanks for the help. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
also, keep in mind that you have to adjust the vmware machine to use x amount of your systems ram, this is accesible after the virtual machine is powered down, clicking settings on the top of the fusion window, then tabbing over to memory under the system hardware drop menu. as seen here:

VMwareFusionScreenSnapz001.jpg

direct link: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k350/dazzlindan88/VMwareFusionScreenSnapz001.jpg

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
yes. i've tried that aswell but the higher i set it. the slower it runs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
hm... the virtual machine runs slower the higher you set it or your macintosh runs slower? what kind of apps are you running in windows?

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
hm... the virtual machine runs slower the higher you set it or your macintosh runs slower? what kind of apps are you running in windows?

if i set it passed 512 my mac is barely functional and windows is basically frozen. last time it took me about 15 minutes just to get it to shut down. my windows has about 20mb of apps and nothing else on it. btw i have 2GB ram. that's why i'm so baffled by this whole thing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hm... i have a similar setup and have no problems with going up to 1G for each, could you share the rest of your virtual machine's settings with me i.e. number of virtual processors and the like?

Reaction score
i have VMware fusion but when i run it, i don't think much of my cpu power is running with it. is that true? if so, would me running windows via bootcamp allow me to use full cpu power for windows?

Are you running Vista or XP? I'm going to take a guess and say Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm sorry mach2o, i have very little experience with running bootcamp through fusion, in fact i was not even aware that was possible, you may want to try posting it in a new thread on the bootcamp section of the forums, found here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

and welcome to mac forums!

-volt-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
When I had parallels, which is very similar to VMWware, it didn't allow me to choose how much memory I'd like to use; the default was 512 MB. Oh yeah, and I have 2 GB of Memory like you do, going to update to 4 when I get to New York though ^^.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When I had parallels, which is very similar to VMWware, it didn't allow me to choose how much memory I'd like to use; the default was 512 MB. Oh yeah, and I have 2 GB of Memory like you do, going to update to 4 when I get to New York though ^^.

You can adjust the size later, by editing the VM while it's "powered off"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Oh well, I did not know that, sorry. But 512 MB seemed pretty good any how, I used my Mac OS X more than the Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.