Virus or video problems?

Reaction score
In the past three months i've had some problems with my mac. I've had my ibook g4 for almost 3 years and its never given me any problems but 3 months a go i turned my computer on and all i saw after the spinning gear section of the startup were colors flashing on my screen. First gray, then blue, then red, green... so on and so forth.

I had this problem "repaired" once by sending my computer into Apple and they said it was a video problem. Now, 2 months later i have the same issue. A friend of mine who is a fellow mac user said that i may have a virus and it may not be a video problem. what is the best way for me to figure out if its a virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Virus? NOT possible.
did Apple FIX the video problem, or just tell you that's what it was?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
While a virus is certainly not an impossibility with a Mac (any computer has the possibility of getting a virus), it is most assuredly an improbability.
Your issue is likely due to a hardware failure. It is possible that the LCD connection is loose, it could be also be that the screen itself is shot.
There is also the possibility of logic board failure. The options are nearly endless.
One thing that it wouldn't be in this case is a virus.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Well i dont remember precisely what they said the problem was but logicboard issues sound familiar so thats probably what it is. I was just a bit skeptical that it was the same issue twice in a relatively short amount of time.

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Well, did they fix it to begin with or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.