Virus or malware?

Reaction score
I just got a computer upgrade at work. I have a new Mac Pro running OS 10.9.5. I no more than got my software loaded and noticed I have some sort of malware or virus when I run Firefox. From what I've read, it sounds similar to the mac defender malware. I have loaded two different free virus detectors - Sophos and another one. Their scans did find three trojans and removed them but I continue to have the same issue. Strange windows pop up in firefox telling me I should download security software. The sites look official and use official names, but I know they are not. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well get rid of the antivirus software. There are no OS X viruses. Both Sophos and 'the other one' will hog your resources.

For adware download AdwareMedic. Do not download that software and consider AdBlackPlus and Ghostery.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

OP
L
Reaction score
Oh and I've also tried deleting Firefox and reloading. Same problem. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy!

M

MacInWin

yeah, it's not in Firefox, it's coming from the Internet through ads. As harry said, use AdwareMedic to get rid of anything resident, then AdBlockPlus and Ghostery (my choice of tools) to block the adware. Not a virus, just another "fun" feature of the Internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.