Vintage iMac Mavericks GC Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 Mid-2007 OSX 10.8.5
I have a mid-2007 iMac 24 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB with ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 GC. I have hesitated moving from ML to Mavs because I reach heat levels pounding around in iPhoto and Keynote that cursor behavior compels me to shut down for cooling. I am poised to get heavier into graphics with a "real" web site and making my first vids for YT and Vimeo. Some web dialog suggests that Mavs is not kind to graphics cards "on the edge". I can afford a new Mac next year but I want to get started on my new ventures. Should I just "live with" Mountain Lion until next gen Macs arrive? Do web comments about GC card death with Mav move describe extremely low freq events or anomalies?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Should I just "live with" Mountain Lion until next gen Macs arrive?

If you are concerned about upgrading to Mavericks…then don't do it…and stick with Mountain Lion. I don't think that you mentioned any reasons to actually upgrade to Mavericks.

On the other hand. Apple says that your iMac can run Mavericks. I would certainly think that if running Mavericks would be a problem…Apple wouldn't suggest it.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The old expression "Keeping up with the Joneses" figures into it a bit. A more modern excuse: Wanting to be on the leading edge of the technical GUI interface. But wait Maverick, Yosemite is just around the bend. Ride on cowboy. Thanks Nick for your comments.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The old expression "Keeping up with the Joneses" figures into it a bit. A more modern excuse: Wanting to be on the leading edge of the technical GUI interface. But wait Maverick, Yosemite is just around the bend.

I understand what you're saying.:) You could always install Mavericks…see how it works out…and if it's not working out well…downgrade back to Mountain Lion.

Just remember…downgrading is not as easy as upgrading. So if you decide to downgrade…be prepared to do a reformat & complete erase….and then install.

But BEFORE doing this. Run the exact same apps and exact same tasks on your current setup BEFORE upgrading to Mavericks…and write down the temp. info. This way if you upgrade to Mavericks…and you think that the computer is running hot…you will have some Mountain Lion benchmarks to compare to.

Many times folks do an upgrade….think that they notice a problem…then blame the upgrade for the problem. When in reality…the same "problem" was already there BEFORE the upgrade.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good scientific method. Document and control the variables. Shades of high school science classes. Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many times folks do an upgrade….think that they notice a problem…then blame the upgrade for the problem. When in reality…the same "problem" was already there BEFORE the upgrade.

That is so true! I don't know how many times we have gone through threads where the thread starter complained that his or her Mac was fine before upgrading. Upon providing further information or digging a little deeper, we find out that the problem existed prior to the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.