Video management

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought my first MBP (mid-2014) and now have a question related to how I manage my photos and home videos going forward.

My mac has 256gb hard drive but I have 330gb home videos and 180gb photos. The photos have been imported and so far I'm really happy about the Photos app. But I also need a smart way to manage the videos. I'd like to have my videos readily available for viewing so I had hoped to keep them on my NAS and reference them the Photos app. But I've now heard from several that this is not possible.

The question then is what alternatives I then have? Let me offer you some options. Feel free to comment.

* Use an alternative Photos-app (which?) that works better with videos stored on NAS
* Upgrade my mac hard drive (Seems I should go for a 1TB but that's insanely expensive)
* Any other options?

I'm looking forward to your comments.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

My personal recommendation would be an external hard drive to place the videos on. You can then direct the Photos app to access that external hard drive by creating an additional Photos library on it. The only drawback would be the speed of access to the external hard drive and whether that would be satisfactory. Newer Macs have Thunderbolt 3 ports which are very fast when accessing a Thunderbolt external hard drive - but they too are rather expensive.

For now, you can try using a USB 3 external hard drive to see if you can live with that. You can purchase a large USB 3 external hard drive for less than $100.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.