Vertical Line on Macbook Pro Screen

Reaction score
I have problem with my Macbook Pro's screen. I wasn't able to use my mac for 2 weeks and when I turned it 2inch on a vertical line appeared on the screen. I tried clearing the PRAM several times but I can't get rid of the vertical line.

Have somebody encountered the same problem? What fix should be applied. Thank you.

20180112_154931.jpg
20180112_155415.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You can try two things:

1. Connect an external monitor...and see if the verticle band remains. If it doesn't...then the problem could be an issue with the MacBook Pro's display or display cable. If it does show up on the external display...then it may be a logic board issue/GPU issue.

2. Connect an external HD with a fresh install of the OS on it...then boot the computer from the external HD. If the band goes away...could be a software issue on the internal drive...if it doesn't go away...then very likely a hardware issue (as I described in part 1).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
that looks like a bad case of image retention which is normally a problem with the GPU,

it could be a faulty display panel as well or a display cable but I would suspect that its the GPU,

as its retaining most of the information of what you viewed last,

let us know how you get on with an external display :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.