Ventura

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Wonder if anyone else is having this issue. I have an HP all-in-one printer. Recently purchased a new iMac running Ventura. The scan function works but when opening the .pdf file on the computer, get nothing but a blank screen. Tried Adobe Reader and also Preview but neither works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have an HP AIO (HP Officejet Pro 8600) and it works perfectly to scan and print. Maybe if you tell us all the steps you follow to scan, we can sort out where it's going wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have an HP Officejet Pro 8720 that I print to from my MBP running Ventura. No problems with scanning or printing.
As Jake said - more info please.

Lisa

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an HP AIO (HP Officejet Pro 8600) and it works perfectly to scan and print. Maybe if you tell us all the steps you follow to scan, we can sort out where it's going wrong?
My model is an Officejet pro 8610. I typically use the function on the printer to copy or scan. When scanning, options are to save as .pdf or jpeg. Also email as the same. It will save to the computer. On the computer, in Finder, the file is listed but when opening the file, the screen is blank. As stated, I use Adobe Acrobat Reader (not the full Adobe program…too expensive) or Apple preview. Same result on both.

I’ve also tried the HP Easyscan app but no change.

It‘s not a communication problem because Command-P works fine to print a file, and the scan does go to the computer. This has to be a Ventura issue as the HP worked flawlessly in Monterey on my older computer.

Would love some suggestions on how to fix. Apple says to reinstall Monterey but the new iMac came with Ventura pre-loaded. Doesn’t make sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We can't see what you are doing. Please describe step-by-step what you are doing to make the scan. As I said, all the steps. Be detailed, please.

When I scan, I open System Settings, Printers & Scanners, select my printer, then click "Open Scanner" to get to the scan software. From there I just follow the steps to scan. The scan does a preview scan, the scans the selected area and creates the image where I directed it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@exncite

I may have a solution or at least an idea.

When you set up the HP to scan - sure you can Click On "Scan" but the result will be an empty file. Why? Because you need to use your pointer to select the exact are to be scanned before you Click on "Scan".

I usually start at the top left and drag the pointer from there to cover the appropriate area.

Does that help?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
then click "Open Scanner" to get to the scan software. From there I just follow the steps to scan. The scan does a preview scan, the scans the selected area and creates the image where I directed
When you set up the HP to scan - sure you can Click On "Scan" but the result will be an empty file. Why? Because you need to use your pointer to select the exact are to be scanned before you Click on "Scan".

And it would be very interesting to know what the scaned preview is actually showing.

I would assume got the image to be scammed is not being inserted backwards perchance... Yes it has happened... And no insult to the OP intended...

- Patrick
=======

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, thanks for the responses. May have found a work-around. Keep in mind that I used the scan function on the HP8610 screen. It automatically saves the file to Pictures in finder, even though it is a .pdf file. Always worked in Monterey.

I downloaded the latest version of HP Easy Scan and used the scan function in the App. Then I saved the file to Documents. It now opens in Adobe Reader.

Couple of extra steps, but at least it works. Maybe HP will have a driver update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that I used the scan function on the HP8610 screen.
That never worked for me. And you didn't mention it in your posts. Glad you found a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Couple of extra steps, but at least it works. Maybe HP will have a driver update.

I would suggest doing a thorough double-check in HP Easy Scan Preferences or possibly its scan window and look for an option that allows you to save the scans into a folder of your choice, either ready-made or one you make yourself somewhere convenient for your access.

You might find some useful and helpful points you could use here:
Scan with an HP printer (Windows, Mac)

And probably some other good useful tutorials at some other sites that maybe Google can find with a bit of searching.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry all. Forgot to reply.I used the Easy Scan option and whatever that did, I can now use the printer monitor to scan. Wish I was smart enough to explain why. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.