Uuuugh... MacUpdate.com now owned by the MacKeeper developer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I saw this blurb via the DetectX website and yep, it's true. MacUpdate.com is now owned by Clario, a company who also now owns the much-dreaded MacKeeper software that has been such a headache on multiple levels. MU was already spiraling downhill, having been caught in the past bundling adware in downloads that they themselves were hosting apart from the legit developer.

A

Applescrumpy

I remember the days of MacCentral which was always a reliable source of new Mac software announcements. I think it redirects to MacWorld now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I remember subscribing to MacUser back in the day. I got lots of little apps from them, on a CD!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I remember subscribing to MacUser back in the day. I got lots of little apps from them, on a CD!

I had accumulated two or three of those free CDs they gave away with a subscription renewal. Most of the free apps were obscure games or apps. I don't remember if I ever used any of them.

I did not renew my subscription to Macworld or MacLife as both magazines have become filled with ads and recommendations to buy or use apps from their advertisers. Macworld went to all digital subscriptions some years ago. MacLife is still available on paper although they also sell a digital subscription.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I was a MacUser Subscriber myself, I think I got my first version of Prince of Persia from one of their free CD's. I have stayed well clear of MacUpdate.com for years. They became infamous for packaging unwanted and sometime malicious software along with their downloads so it's no surprise that the owners of MacKeeper would would add them to their stable of invasive apps.
I seem to remember spending a frustrating afternoon about 5 years ago ridding my previous MBP of the MacUpdate Download and Update Manager app, not unlike MacKeeper in tenacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
It's been several years since I considered MacUpdate safe to use. They began bundling adware / malware with their downloads. I thought it was common knowledge that these kinds of software update central sites were untrustworthy.

And Apple received so much flack for building their own, curated, App store... imagine that.

Between the App Store and for those Apps where you can go directly to the Developer page - why would anyone risk using these third-party sites?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been several years since I considered MacUpdate safe to use. They began bundling adware / malware with their downloads. I thought it was common knowledge that these kinds of software update central sites were untrustworthy.

And Apple received so much flack for building their own, curated, App store... imagine that.

Between the App Store and for those Apps where you can go directly to the Developer page - why would anyone risk using these third-party sites?

I've long relied on MacUpdate to find software to fill a certain task, and for comparisons to what I may be using. It's long been exceptionally useful to me in that regard. Downloading directly from them, well I wouldn't ever advocate that even if I still trusted them. The one bone I would have thrown at them at one time in that regard is for abandonware that they would host. I think that's what they started with, and innocuously enough.

As for the App Store.... uuuugh. No crippleware for me. It's fine for some things, not so much for others. And discovery is terrible, So much garbageware on there.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@NSMacGuru, convenience, advertising and search engines. That explains it to me. Notice how some search engines bring up MacUpdate first when doing a search to download any type of Mac application.
Of course it also seems so user friendly, free downloads at the click of a button.
Mostly I search for app reviews, sometimes they are obviously thinly disguised advertisements but most supply links to the developers site. There I can read the claims and capabilities and make up my mind.
The Apple App Store is fine but does impose certain restrictions on some apps and yes, the search function could do with some improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
One word..... convenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
One word..... convenience.
Too high risk for me. I look for the developer site, or the App Store. I just don't trust the aggregator sites at all. Been burned once, not going back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Too high risk for me. I look for the developer site, or the App Store. I just don't trust the aggregator sites at all. Been burned once, not going back.
Yes, I do my due diligence. But most PC (macOS & winOS) users don't. They opt for the easiest and quickest options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or look for and find; Clean my Mac, Mackeeper, etc.......

And on that same site that got them in trouble to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.