Using the Zune on my Powerbook G4?

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post. I work at radioshack and after seeing the Zune and the IPOD upclose and playing with both of them I decided on the Zune. I like the bigger screen. I liked the fact that it wouldnt scratch. I also liked the subscription music service. Also the whole wireless just sounded awesome ;P

Anyway, I get it home and hook it up with my desktop PC. (AMD X2 4200, 7800GT, 2GB of RAM) and it works just fine. Set up my subscription to the market place. get a few songs and sync it all up. Everything is workin perfect. I love it. But then comes to problem. I plug it in to my laptop. a Powerbook G4.. it won't even recognize it.. Apple didn't make any drivers to recognize the zune?!~?! anyone else havin this problem? I'll never switch to the ipod after usin this zune.. but I really want to be using it on my Powerbook since thats what i'll bring to college with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope can't use the Zune with Apple's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pimped out hollllllllla at ya boi
What I did was bring it into BESTBUY GEEK SQUAD and they were able to load on the special drivers that they had developed. You will need to reformat your hard drive but after that everything works perfect!!!!!!!!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's up to microsoft to make their product compatible with mac hardware. just like it was apple's decision after a couple years to finally make ipods pc compatible. don't blame apple on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pimped out hollllllllla at ya boi
TRIPPINMONKEY yes you can but you need special driver cd version.

OP
E
Reaction score
it's up to microsoft to make their product compatible with mac hardware. just like it was apple's decision after a couple years to finally make ipods pc compatible. don't blame apple on this one.

Yeah like the Zune can just automatically put some drivers into your Comp.. psssssh, its up to mac to get a driver are you serious?

anyway.. I dont wanna get into a mac vs PC battle I have both and love both. I like the PC for gaming and the Mac for workin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, when the ipod first came out and wasn't pc compatible, why was that do you think?

apple did not build into the firmware of the ipod the ability to communicate with windows. it was apple who decided to do it after some time (i believe with the G4, but i could be wrong).

microsoft chose not to build in compatibility with macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah like the Zune can just automatically put some drivers into your Comp.. psssssh, its up to mac to get a driver are you serious?

Apple doesn't have to develop anything to support microsofts products.

Apple created iTunes and the drivers for the iPod to work on PC's.
If Microsoft wants to the Zune to work on OS X they would have to make their own software for it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Knew something was fishy with two guys making their first posts in the same thread. It was the same person

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i kind of figured it might be. ;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Honestly, I don't believe you.

1) best buy geek squad doesn't develop anything
2) http://www.zune-online.com/mac-and-linux.html

Yeah I feel the same way.

And what is this Reformat your Macs drive? To what? NTFS?

It's up to Microsoft to make the Zune work with Macs or Linux. The ball is in their court. I was glad Apple did that with the iPod as it allows everyone to enjoy it.

Edit, Good Job trpnmonkey41! Looked fishy to me also. I do not have much respect for Geek Squad after what they did to friends of mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
actually, if some one knows how it works, they can develop drivers for OS X. There's people out there with the ability to do it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
actually, if some one knows how it works, they can develop drivers for OS X. There's people out there with the ability to do it.

I agree. Sure someone could write a driver, I just don't believe Geek Squad did. The Zune is a nice player. I hope support for OSX comes soon as there are people who have Zune's that love OSX.

For my own usage I prefer the iPod's interface, but the Zune is not bad at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.