Using Printers on a mac /pc network

Reaction score
Using printers from mac via Pc Network

Hi guys,

Ok I managed network together my pc and mac for transfering files over to my imac G4, but now I need to set up a printer so that I can use my mac downstairs then send the print jobs upstairs through the printers installed on the pc (laptop) through my network.

The story thus far:

I have the network established and the printers set up on the network though the printers are installed the pc (laptop).

However when i try to send across to the printers on the network which are installed on the pc all that is printing off is a load of computer code of some sort.

Is there are way to remedy this problem?

Many thanks!!

Reaction score
Hope this link solves your printing woes FirebrandNIRE! It certainly fixed mine, but my printer is attached to my iMac ... your printer is attached to your XP machine, but I hope that doesn't alter things ....

Printer Sharing with Bonjour!

OP
F
Reaction score
Installed Bonjour on the windows home pc
But still wont print, but I discovered that when i went to the printers and faxes list in my control panel and clicked on the sharing tab for my printers in question it said concerning both printers that they are not supported for sharing

"Sharing is not supported for this type of printer"

I'm using an HP deskjet 5652 and and Epson CX3200

Why would this be?

many thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Installed Bonjour on the windows home pc
But still wont print, but I discovered that when i went to the printers and faxes list in my control panel and clicked on the sharing tab for my printers in question it said concerning both printers that they are not supported for sharing

"Sharing is not supported for this type of printer"

I'm using an HP deskjet 5652 and and Epson CX3200

Why would this be?

many thanks!!

They're USB printers. Not all USB printers can be shared. It's a hardware and/or driver limitation.
Could be that they are GDI printers (common way for manufacturers to make a multifunction, or any printer for that matter, affordable)
A printer that has built-in support for Windows Graphical Device Interface (GDI). GDI is used by most Windows applications to display images on a monitor, so when printing from a Windows application to a GDI printer, there is no need to convert the output to another format such as PostScript or PCL.

GDI printers are sometimes called host-based printers because they rely on the host computer to rasterize pages.

Reaction score
I just joined this forum. I have a MacBookPro with a printer connected to it via usb. That is working fine.
In my home network are 2 windows computers (winXP). I added in both windows compters(start>printers and faxes) the canon MP500 printer (connected to my MBP).The installation succeded only so far that I could see the printer. But it had a notice written under it : Access denied, unable to connect.
After reading this thread I used Bonjour and saw the ( new) printer in Printer&faxes. Now everything looked good , but when I tried a printertest nothing happend.
Clicking on the printer icon I saw that the testdocumenr was in queue with the status "error".
So what can be the problem? Did I do everything right? I followed the steps described by FirebrandNire.
peterwillem:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.