Using Multiple Email Addresses on Same Computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
For 54 years now of married life, my wife and I have used the same email address (that is since emails were in general use). I need to create a separate email address which I will probably end up using since all of our accounts, bills, are under the current address and she will definitely outlive me. To keep things simple, I would like to change just one letter in the name like [email protected] to [email protected]. Currently, when we check email on yahoo, the [email protected] inbox shows up. How would I view the [email protected] emails? Would I need a new login password?
Or I guess I could open a gmail account (which I have never done) and if I do that I believe I read somewhere I can sync that with my yahoo emails somehow to view both on my Mac or her Dell...but I have no clue how to do that.
Any tutorial out there that can explain me what I can and can't do to have multiple email addresses on the same computer?
What brings this up is I am registered on a website to view my blood work results but I can't register her as the yahoo.com address is already in use and only one patient per email address.

Pierre

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You seem to be using the Webmail to access your email address, to that end, you will need a new set of credentials for each email address you create, whether that's on Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail or whatever.

You cannot sync your Gmail email to Yahoo within the webmail service itself, that's not how it works.

On your Mac, you can add as many email addresses as you want under System Preferences->Internet Accounts and then within the Mail app, you can see all of your email at once. If you prefer to use a different mail application, you would add the accounts directly in that application.

On Windows, you'd use the Mail app (assuming that you're running Windows 10) and add all the accounts in there to be able access them.

Be sure to use IMAP to register all of your email addresses, do NOT use POP for any reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
"do NOT use POP for any reason".

Can you explain why not? And what to do when you ISP only provides a POP email (apart from creating icloud/hotmail/gmail or yahoo type emails (I have all these))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Pierre, I have four email addresses and Mail on the Mac can retrieve all of them at the same time. In fact, it can show the inbox of al of them merged if I want to. As Ashwin pointed out, you just add new addresses either through his approach or by opening Mail, then preferences and the Accounts tab. I find that is the better way than to jump from the Mail menu directly to Accounts. Click on the Mail in the top left corner of the screen, then Preferences and finally Accounts. There is a +/- to add or delete accounts. You would set up the email with the provider, then enter their information into Mail. If you go with the upper right corner Mail, then Accounts you get a different menu, from System Preferences, that offers iCloud, Exchange, Google, yahoo!, and AOL setup, or Add other account, if it's not those five.

From experience, the one thing to watch for with multiple email addresses is to make sure the return address in any email you send is the same as the address to which the original email was sent. It can be confusing to the other end if they send to address A and get a response from address B.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Can you explain why not? And what to do when you ISP only provides a POP email (apart from creating icloud/hotmail/gmail or yahoo type emails (I have all these))

The issue with POP is that each mail client gets a copy of the email and you have to choose a setting to keep a copy of the mail on the server so that other clients can access the same email. Otherwise, the first client that gets to the server gets the email and others don't get it. Additionally, read and unread status isn't stored on the server, rather is client specific. So you'd have to "read" the email in every client that is connected as opposed to reading the email in one client and having that be acknowledged everywhere else.

Personally, I'd avoid using an ISP that only provides POP. :)

From experience, the one thing to watch for with multiple email addresses is to make sure the return address in any email you send is the same as the address to which the original email was sent. It can be confusing to the other end if they send to address A and get a response from address B.

I'll strongly second this, but since this for personal use, it's likely not a HUGE thing, but still worth noting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The issue with POP is that each mail client gets a copy of the email and you have to choose a setting to keep a copy of the mail on the server so that other clients can access the same email. Otherwise, the first client that gets to the server gets the email and others don't get it. Additionally, read and unread status isn't stored on the server, rather is client specific. So you'd have to "read" the email in every client that is connected as opposed to reading the email in one client and having that be acknowledged everywhere else.

Personally, I'd avoid using an ISP that only provides POP. :)

I'll strongly second this, but since this for personal use, it's likely not a HUGE thing, but still worth noting.
Thank you. And apologies for only just picking up your reply. As it happens I tend to use icloud email for almost everything; my ISP email for those websites that insist on you giving an email even though you are just, for example, only researching information and from whom I just don't want to hear from and another that I never use but is the one Facebook holds for me ( so if ever I get an email proporting to be from FB I know it's a scam).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc

Hi there. I'm new to this forum but I've been a Mac user since around 1985.
I felt that I had to respond to this advice by pointing out a use for which POP is perfect. Many folks may not need this it but my wife and I find it necessary.
We have several email IMAP and POP email accounts. With a POP account we will both see an email and it's state on our own computer and phones. So if I read or delete an email it does not affect how my wife gets it. Admittedly there is extra work to manage the account on multiple devices. In addition (just like IMAP accounts can do) we have different account names for the same account so she can send an email as [email protected] and I send as [email protected] but we both get any reply. If I read or delete it she can still get it (and as unread) whereas with IMAP she would lose it.
I have never been able to find a way to do this with IMAP without getting too complex.

Anyway, as a newbie here I just want to say HELLO from Ottawa Canada and a big thanks for this forum. After a Safari upgrade I am finally able to stay logged in and not have to put my credentials in every time ;-)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's a good point.

There are also some ISPs that are still stuck in time and only provide POP accounts to residential customers unless you are paying for a business account.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I too keep both a POP3 and IMAP account. As a matter of fact, I have two IMAP accounts. And, I actually prefer the POP3 account for the reason you gave above and also for better management of the mail that I can keep stored on the server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.