Using iPhoto as main repository, syncing though iCloud

Reaction score
I'm currently using iCloud to sync to iPhotos on my MacBook (photos I take on my phone). I want my MacBook to be the official main repository. The problem is iCloud gets full, and it stops syncing. How do I:
- have iCloud automatically delete old photos from iCloud only (not from phone or laptop) to make more room (I know this is not likely an option)?
- manually delete photos from iCloud only, keeping photos on my iPhone and in iPhotos on the laptop?

I've have googled this. The one result that appeared to be promising ended up removing some photos from all my devices and iCloud.

Also, how can I delete photos from my iPhone without removing them from the cloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
You don't need to use iCloud if you want the laptop to be your main storage. I use Photostream which syncs to all my devices and Photos on my MBP becomes the master library. You can then file or delete independently as you wish on either device. Suggest you have another means of backing up your images - eg an external hard drive - if you are not using iCloud.

In System Preferences on your MB, and Settings on your phone: iCloud > enable Photostream; switch off iCloud library and iCloud photosharing (unless you want the latter)
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 20.39.13.jpg

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201317

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.