Using an older iMac as monitor for new Mac mini to edit video

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I’ve been researching issues regarding using an older iMac as a monitor, as well as using a Mac mini to edit video. I’ve found a lot of answers but am left with a few specific questions.

My situation: I’m still using my mid-2011 iMac to record and edit 30-90 minute videos, and I am overdue for an upgrade. (I recently ordered a new iMac, but was very disappointed in the camera quality, so I returned it. Strange how the iSight camera on my old iMac is so much better than the camera in the new iMac, but that’s beside the point.)

So, I decided what might work for me instead is to invest in a souped-up Mac mini and use my old iMac as a monitor in Target Display mode. I know I can’t access my iMac’s camera function in that mode, but I figure I can still record with the iMac camera, and then transfer the footage to the mini for editing. I will still need to use the old iMac in addition to it functioning as a monitor for the mini, so in this scenario, my questions are:

Using mid-2011 iMac as monitor in addition to normal use:
  1. Is it easy to switch back and forth from Target Display Mode to normal use on the iMac? Does switching back and forth disrupt tasks and functions on either computer? For instance, if I’m exporting a long video on the mini and want to switch back to using the iMac as a computer while that processes, will it disrupt the export?
  2. I know I need a Thunderbolt cable to use the iMac as a monitor, but do i need an additional cable for transferring files between the computers, or can the same cable be used for both functions?

Video editing:
  1. I’ve read reports of Mac minis overheating. Is that rep warranted? I’ve never owned a mini before and wonder if it can comfortably run Final Cut and Adobe Premiere, and export up to 90-minute videos (basic cuts, minimal effects, etc.) I produce about 7-10 videos per week.

Thanks for any and all feedback! I really appreciate it!

Mini Mac specs (potentially):
3.0 GHz 6-core 8th-gen Intel Core i5 (maybe i7 for the video editing/processing load)
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 (or more?)
Intel UHD Graphics 630

mid-2011 iMac specs:
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In target display mode, the iMac is fully operational and has to stay so for it to work. This also means that you can switch in and out of it without affecting anything on either machine.

The scheme you have set up will work for you as I did something similar one I upgraded from my 2009 iMac to the 2018 Mac Mini and before I got my monitors. In my case, however, the iMac was used ONLY as a screen and not a separate computer.

You might want to think about selling your 2011 iMac and getting a monitor and high quality webcam to connect to your Mac Mini for the video recording.

I have the 6-core i7 with 32GB Mac Mini and use it for some pretty strenuous work. Under idle conditions, the temps hover around 47 degC and under load I've gotten it up to 85 degC and the fans appropriately kick in to keep things under check.

All computers behave this way and have fans and other cooling means to dissipate the heat that naturally generated by electronic components under stress.

From a memory perspective, you should do the upgrade yourself and if its in your budget, go for the full 64GB. But definitely opt for the upgraded i7 processor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be sure you understand which iMacs support Target Mode. We receive questions about this quite often.

Here's what Apple says:

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Notice that Target display mode using an iMac as an external display does not work with iMac models 2015 and later nor will it work with any model if you use Mojave or Catalina. And I assume the same will apply for the forthcoming macOS 11 (Big Sur).

OP
M
Reaction score
Raz0rEdge - Thanks so much for sharing your experience, particularly the performance of your Mac Mini. I'm nervous to switch from an iMac but under the circumstances I'm in, it makes sense for me to try this set-up. Thanks!

ferrarr - Thanks, yes, I have seen that support article before. :)

chscag - Thank you! I should have specified that I've confirmed my mid-2011 iMac will function (or is supposed to function) as a monitor in Target Display Mode, but it never hurts to make sure. Thanks! I just wonder about the logistics of using it both as a monitor and as a functional computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.