User Sign Up & Account Status

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of creating my signup system for my app.

Users must complete the following sign up form:

Name
Username
Email
Password

Mobile Number

Once a they complete the form a 5 digit pin SMS is sent to the user. They must enter that 5 digit pin to confirm their mobile number.

Users will have 1 of 3 statuses:

Pending - user has completed the signup form, but has not confirmed their mobile number with the 5 digit pin
Live - user has completed the signup form, and confirmed their mobile number (and are now able to use the app)
Banned - user was live, but was banned from the app for posting inappropriate content

SIGNING UP
When a new user signs up, the form checks to see if the new mobile number is already associated with another account, and if it is, what status that account has.

- if the account status is 'pending', then allow user to proceed and send the 5 digit pin
- if the account status is 'banned', stop the user and notify them that they must use another mobile number

QUESTION
- if the user enters a mobile number that is already associated with a 'live' account, what should i allow the user to do?

At first i was thinking of notifying them that, that mobile number is already in use, however, what if the user had lost their phone and is purely trying to sign up again on their new phone (which has the same mobile number)?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I suggest you ask the service provider this question.

OP
O
Reaction score
Not sure i get what you mean.

I am asking if a user should be allowed to signup with a number that is already associated with a 'live' account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.