Use RAW as original greyed out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 IMac, 3.6GHz i9, 32GB 2667MHz DDR4, OSX Sonoma 14.4.1
I'm using Photos v3. I know the RAW files are there as I've just exported copies to a thumb drive but if I x2 click and go to Image the Use Raw... is greyed out. Any advice would be welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but if I x2 click and go to Image the Use Raw... is greyed out. Any advice would be welcome.

According to this, it seems that Apple just made this choice for you if you don't have a choice, they don't give you a choice:
The use raw as original is only available if you have both raw and jpg version of the same image installed. It is not needed if you only have raw images.

And no, I do not know where Apple hides this information but I assume it would be true and I guess it's their sort of logic-thinking that saves one from having to choose or click.

Hard to believe Apple actually reduced the number of clicks needed to do an optional function. Nice Improvement. ;) :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Excellent find, Patrick. I didn't know that.

In my case, I gave up RAW photography and therefore RAW processing a while back.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Excellent find, Patrick. I didn't know that.

In my case, I gave up RAW photography and therefore RAW processing a while back.

Ian

Haven't seen a reply back from the OP whether that is the case for their situation or not.

We don't have any camera or device that can even take or store RAW photo images so it has never been a concern for us.

I had a photography nutcase friend years ago who bought one of those crazy huge megapixel cameras who thought RAW photos options were the best thing ever but he sure spend a lot of time complaining about his photo storage space always disappearing and he never seem to have enough free space.

I guess RAW photo files can be good if one ever needs to utilize all or more of the data they can store, but I really wonder how often that is needed or done unless one is maybe a professional photographer.

But I guess it's okay if one has the space to store them but any picture is almost better than no picture at all.

- Patrick
=======

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies and sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. I’ve joined a camera club and to present the best digital and prints RAW does help. I imported both jpegs and RAW and so the J is showing stacked in the corner. Is there some way splitting them so they show separately?
It‘s not a show stopper, as I posted, I export those I’m going to work on, on to a thumb drive and then PS loads them from there. That brings up another question, if I go to “edit with” and choose PS (Elements 18), PS says file not recognised! I would’ve thought there was an easy way to get a file from Photos into PS.
Big sigh! 😂

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, thanks for the link, I’ve read through it. Puzzled about importing only specific file types, I’ll have to have a look at that. Usually I just plug the camera in and Photos shows what hasn’t been imported already. A lot to learn and that’s just on the mac never mind all the camera stuff!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.