USB2 hub on iMac M1 24 problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
As a number of you know we are now the owners of a lovely new iMac M1 24 entry level machine. That's the one with just 2 USB-C ports on the back. Running Big Sur

One of the things I have transfered from our late 2009 iMac 21 ½ is the Belkin 7 port USB2 hub as we have several powered USB2 external HDDs. One for Time Machine and several for my photos. All are 3 ½" powered disks. Also on there is a USB Logitech mouse and a Wacom pen tablet.

The problem I have noticed is that when the iMac is put in sleep for any length of time and then awoken the units on the USB2 hub are dead, no power and the system posts that I should 'eject the disks before disconnection'.

The hub has to be connected to the back of the iMac by an adaptor cable, r adaptor plug. I have tried the adaptor cable in both ports. I have used a different cable and an adaptor plug in both ports, but nothing will operate until the cable or adaptor plug is removed and replaced. Then all is fine and the disks , mouse and pen tablet all work fine.

If the iMac is only in sleep mode for a short time, just a few minutes, then it is all working fine when awoken.

If the hub is not compatible then why is it only after a long time in sleep that it fails? My brain cell 'urts :oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.