USB port and Hub

Reaction score
1) How do I identify which USB ports are on my ca. 2010 MacBook Pro 13-in.? The About My Mac menu is not entirely clear, but could it be that Version 1.0 is the correct answer?

2) I want to get a hub — maybe a one-into three. What is a good product?

3) Is there any downside to using a hub?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
1) How do I identify which USB ports are on my ca. 2010 MacBook Pro 13-in.? The About My Mac menu is not entirely clear, but could it be that Version 1.0 is the correct answer?

2) I want to get a hub — maybe a one-into three. What is a good product?

3) Is there any downside to using a hub?

Hi Marrk - I'm assuming you have more than one MBPro, i.e. you mention 2010 above (but a 2017 is listed in your signature) - shown below is a 'System Report' from my 2013 MBPro - go to 'About This Mac' > 'System Report' which should provide you the information asked.

There are SO MANY hubs out there that picking just one may be guesswork depending on your specific needs - so tell us how you plan to use the hub - there are plenty on Amazon and also checkout OWC; other sites will likely be suggested. One of a number of considerations is whether you want a non- or a powered hub - again, depends on what your plan to attach. Hopefully this will start some discussion and others will likely 'chime-in' - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.09.24 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
I have two MacBook Pro's. This question is in regard to the older one. Here's the System Report.

My plans for the hub are to use it with a keyboard, a trackpad, maybe a video cam, and a drive that I use for TimeMachine backups.

Attachments

• System Report.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have two MacBook Pro's. This question is in regard to the older one. Here's the System Report.

My plans for the hub are to use it with a keyboard, a trackpad, maybe a video cam, and a drive that I use for TimeMachine backups.

Hi again - looking at your image link and the age of the computer, I'm assuming that you have one of the first USB 1.x standards which are obviously extremely slow from the chart below (Source), probably fine for your KB & trackpad - video cam (check the specs)? Slow for a TM backup drive but not a big issue if you have the time.

Your newer MBPro would have the USB 3.x specs (my MBAir, 2015, is USB 3.0) - appears that you'll have to delegate your needs depending on the speeds/etc. needed - and as you likely know, getting a faster USB hub will make no difference on the speeds obtainable from that old Pro - hopefully, our 'hardware experts' knowing this older technology will leave some useful posts - I did not get into the 'Apple world' until 2013 - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.52.12 PM.png

krs

Reaction score
Hi again - looking at your image link and the age of the computer, I'm assuming that you have one of the first USB 1.x standards which are obviously extremely slow from the chart below (Source), probably fine for your KB & trackpad - video cam (check the specs)? Slow for a TM backup drive but not a big issue if you have the time.
I didn't think any MacBook Pros had a USB 1.x port
If I check MacTracker and go back all the way to Jan 2006, it shows that MBp having two 480Mb/s ports.
Still slow compared to USB 3 but not ridiculously slow.
These older Macs also have FW400 or FW800 ports, something to consider speed wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think any MacBook Pros had a USB 1.x port
If I check MacTracker and go back all the way to Jan 2006, it shows that MBp having two 480Mb/s ports.
Still slow compared to USB 3 but not ridiculously slow.
These older Macs also have FW400 or FW800 ports, something to consider speed wise.

Hi Krs - not my area of expertise - but just looking at Marrk's PDF pic of his 'System Report' the USB showed no number - I would suspect that if at least USB 2, that would have been shown? I leave it to you and others to provide more accurate information - my experience does not do back to 2010, sorry. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
This is the FireWire.

Attachments

• FireWire.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 20

krs

Reaction score
@Marrk - You said you had a ca. 2010 MBp - if it happens to be "circa" as in early 2011, the Mac would have a Thunderbolt port on it an you can get adapters and/or hubs that plug into the Thunderbolt port and provide USB 3.x ports for much higher speeds than USB 2.x
USB 3.x is backwards compatible with USB 2.x so any USB 2.x devices you might have will work as well.
If there is no Thunderbolt port but only USB 2.x ports, then pretty much any brand name USB 2 hub should be fine. Powered would be better than un-powered, but then the hub is not as portable having to plug it in.

krs

Reaction score
For my older Macs before Macs with USB 3 ports, I bought FW800/USB 3.0 enclosures and SATA drives separately and put them together.
Used the FW800 port at the time for fast transfer and today I can use that same enclosure with the USB 3 ports on the newer Macs.
That would be my choice for the back-up or TM drive.
For the keyboard and track pad any USB hub should do.
For the video cam it depends on the output it has available, but it will probably also connect to the USB hub.

OP
M
Reaction score
@krs: The MBp is dated 2010 in the About My Mac. It has no Tunderbolt ports.

Thanks. I'll start searching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi Krs - not my area of expertise - but just looking at Marrk's PDF pic of his 'System Report' the USB showed no number - I would suspect that if at least USB 2, that would have been shown? I leave it to you and others to provide more accurate information - my experience does not do back to 2010, sorry. Dave :)
No, Macs report their port types, but you have to select the post, to see the transfer speeds,. Since USB uses the same port, the speed defines the designation , 2 or 3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.