USB floppy drive on Mac

Reaction score
I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and I need to copy some files from a CD to a floppy. Will my Mac even recognize an external floppy drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and I need to copy some files from a CD to a floppy. Will my Mac even recognize an external floppy drive?

Hi Roger - I was going to 'welcome' you to the forum seeing just 2 posts but you joined way back in 2009 - ;)

I have an early 2013 MBPro which did not come w/ an optical drive but checking HERE, I see that your laptop does have the drive - SO, you want to insert a CD into your internal optical drive and then copy files to a 'floppy' diskette - do you mean a USB 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" floppy drive, like one of the ones shown below?

First, please tell us 'why' you need to get files onto an obsolete device? Second, I'm not sure if the USB floppy will work (have you plugged in the drive to see in it is recognized in Finder?), but why not use a USB thumb drive for file transfer? I'll stop there since the details of your needs are unclear to me - but, please explain. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 5.56.38 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends entirely on what the program is for those files and what operating system is on your Mac. I believe the floppy will be recognised but what are you going to run the floppy on after files copied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.