USB Dongle trouble connecting.

Reaction score
Hey guys, So, I have a small Huawei usb Dongle that should just plug and connect you to the network. When I connect it to the Mac a shortcut appears on the desktop. Clicking that brings me to safari, along with an error message that says it can't find the server. When I look for available wifi networks it doesn't appear as an option. But it has no problem connecting and joining the network on a machine running windows. Am I missing something really obvious here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What Mac, what version of the OS? What do you see in System Preferences>Network for adapters? Sounds like it's trying to phone home (probably to some Chinese server) and not getting through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the dongle designed to work with Mac hardware and macOS? Which versions?

OP
I
Reaction score
Hey thanks for getting back, MacBook Pro late 2013, High Sierra 10.13.6 Can't seem to find any option called Network for adapters. In network it just shows options for wifi, bluetooth and thunderbolt bridge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If that's all you see in network, then the dongle is not being recognized as a network device. I suspect, as does Bob, that there is no driver for it for the Mac. Or at least, you don't have it installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi, Am I getting on the wrong bus here? "but it has no problem Connecting and joining on a machine running Windows"? Is the usb dongle for an Apple Mac or a Windows machine? If it is a Windows machine then it might not connect on an Apple Mac. I could be barking up the wrong tree here I suppose!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're not necessarilly getting on the wrong bus Keith. I used one of those dongles for a while and it often did not play nice with Macs even though it was supposed to work with them.

@Igoaquestion If I read the first post correctly this device used to work with your Mac but doesn't work with it now. Is that correct? If so, have you updated the OS recently? The dongle I had worked for a while and I think even survived through one of the minor updates but when I made the next major OS update it stopped working.

If you have updated the OS recently, there is one thing that might work but will take a bit of detective work. See if you can figure out what wireless chip the dongle uses. This name probbbly isn't the same as the name on the dongle. The chip manufacturer may have an updated driver.

Edit:The wireless chip manufacturer in the dongle probably isn't the same as the manufacturer of the dongle.​ Last time I checked there were only a handful of manufacturers making these wirelss chips (for Mac or Windows) which are then parted out to manufacturers of wireless card and the dongles in question.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sly is correct. With Windows, hardware for the most part remains backward compatible. But with macOS, upgrading not only means that software becomes obsolete (re: 32 bit apps) it also results in hardware incompatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dongles do not play nice with Macs, part of their backwards compatibility with the lowest common denominator in the Windows world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It would be very nice to know exactly what model of the particular Huawei usb Dongle device is and it's very possible that the Mac OS has left such devices behind in their compatibility, especially when I read this:
Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 with latest upgrades
E8372 WiFi wingle, dongle Specifications | HUAWEI Global

That's if the devices are even similar in specs or functions, and those Mac OS versions are pretty legacy.

Maybe I missed it, but I sure didn't see any description of what the Huawei usb Dongle device actually was or what it was supposed to do or work with.

Pretty well shooting with blanks here I would say

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.