USB C EHD to 2015 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
To all the knowledgeable folks on our forum:

I have a 2015 27" iMac on order and should arrive this Monday. It will be coming with a 512 GB SSD. I was looking at getting an EHD enclosure that connects using USB-C since I plan on adding a future laptop to my network. I will be installing a SSD drive in the enclosure.

My question is this:

I know the iMac comes with (2) Thunderbolt 2 ports. Can I connect the USB-C enclosure to one of these ports? Do I need an adapter? I'm not up on the Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports as my current iMac is a 2013 with Thunderbolt 1 ports. If I am able to connect it to the new iMac will it provide sufficient power from the iMac.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance for your time and sharing of your knowledge and know how.

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
USB3 and Thunderbolt 2 on your iMac Garry.

With my iMac I spent a few more bucks and got a lightening fast Thunderbolt external hard drive. The Silicon Power 240GB model, if that is large enough and they do come larger, does not require a caddy or a case, simply plug in and away it goes. Records SuperDuper Smart Update at a speed of over 3000Mbps.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.