USB-3 & Thunderbolt, the future of connectivity

Reaction score
I want to purchase a multi bay hard drive enclosure, mostly to eliminate the many power supplies , plugs and cables that I have connecting my 9 hard drives. I'm considering a Thunderbolt enclosure but am concerned about the future use when I upgrade to a new computer.
With USB-3 coming on strong I would not want to be forced to buy new enclosures.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well technology is always going to be changing but for now I believe thunderbolt will be around for a while. I found this article that compares the speeds of both and what is coming for thunderbolt connections and speed: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

It is a hard decision and I am in the same predicament. I started out buying an external drive, filled it, got another, filled it and on and on. I keep looking at a NAS to connect the storage to my two devices. I vacillate and can not decide what I want to do so for now I have 5 externals.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'd answer that with metaphysics certainty for you but my Chrystal ball slipped out of its case and shattered into a million pieces.;) Seriously, anybody that thinks this stuff can be predicted with any degree of certainty is selling you a bill of goods.

Instead of trying to second guess which interface will dominate the market why not select something that supports multiple interfaces. That way you can choose whatever interface your machine supports. Here's a few examples (Example 1, Example 2). Note that some of these drives do not say they support Thunderbolt but there is a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter available.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Do some homework. The ones I cited are just the first things that came to mind. That same company for example has enclosures that can handle more drives. You might also find better prices elsewhere on similar devices.
2. Although these devices support RAID arrangements you can have the drives function independently (such as what you seem to be looking for)by making sure the enclosures urges support JBOD (Just Big Old Disk). Most of the multi-drive enclosures do.
3. Some drive enclosures have a funky feature that I do not like. You cannot insert drives which already contain data into the enclosure unless you are willing to erase the drive. because the setup requires formatting the drive. So far I've only seen this in some cheaper single drive enclosures but I have been burned by this a few times.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Lisa

I feel your pain. I've bought two NAS/semi NAS devices for the same reasons you're considering them. Both of them turned out to be basically junk and not worth what I paid for them. In both cases it took me forever to gather the stuff that was on those drives and put it onto new drives because the drives inside were either toast or the device refused to be recognized.

I was attaching drives to my Time Capsule but for some reason it's not recognizing drives attached to the USB port right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I'd answer that with metaphysics certainty for you but my Chrystal ball slipped out of its case and shattered into a million pieces.;)

And you didn't see it coming? :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't see it coming at all. So I guess you're implying it never worked? I traded perfectly good magic beans for that thing.:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Didn't see it coming at all. So I guess you're implying it never worked? I traded perfectly good magic beans for that thing.:Angry:

Hmmm…??? Not very good average there, first the magic beans and then the NAS devices… now we're wondering what's next… oh right, I think someone's going to sell you a bag of USB ports… ;P

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.