URL Redirects - my mac or website?

Reaction score
How do I tell if I have a virus or malware? I have a Mac and ran a Malware Bytes anti-malware app which didn't identify any malware. But every time I go to a site - it redirects. This doesn't happen on my iPhone though... i alerted the website but they told me it's my Mac since it doesn't happen to them... Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How do I tell if I have a virus or malware? I have a Mac and ran a Malware Bytes anti-malware app which didn't identify any malware. But every time I go to a site - it redirects. This doesn't happen on my iPhone though... i alerted the website but they told me it's my Mac since it doesn't happen to them... Thoughts?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide more information: 1) Apple computer model/year; 2) OS X installed; 3) Browser being used - I'm assuming Safari; 4) Is the 'redirect' happening on just one site or many; and 5) What have you done to eliminate the problem?

There are no Mac viruses in the wild, so that is not your problem - you are affected by a browser hijack - if the redirect asks you to call a number or requests money, then the term 'ransomware' is used - DO NOT respond to any such message.

Below is a list of suggestions given in previous threads to rid your browser of malware/adware - for starters, download 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac' (at the link in #8) - run the app to see if malware is detected and remove, then re-test the browser - if not effective, then you may need to start at the top - once corrected, folks here typically suggest adding the Safari extensions 'AdBlock & Ghostery' - please post back and good luck. Dave

Ransomware Removal

1. Force quit Safari.
2. Turn off your Wi-Fi or disconnect the ethernet cable.
3. Reopen Safari and close the offending tab(s).
4. Clear ‘History & Data’ in the Safari menu.
5. Reconnect to internet, i.e. Wi-Fi or ethernet cable.
6. Add ‘extensions’: AdBlock & Ghostery.
7. Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.
8. Visit AdwareMedic.

Reaction score
Couple of things to check:
Unwanted browser extensions - see what's there that wasn't before.
Hosts file - Use the Go menu, Go to folder. Type in /etc
Look for the hosts file. Look at it with Textedit (you wont be able to write (yet)). Shouldn't be too much there. If there is copy/paste here.

OP
J
Reaction score
it's one website - which is why i suspected it was that site.. but when the owner told me he didn't have the issue (nor does my iPhone) - i got scared.

The mac is a macbook air 13 the OS is OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

I'm on safari 8.0.6

Nothing is "happening" after the redirect... But the machine is running slower recently, and now with the redirect - i'm afraid i went to a "bad" site

embarrassingly (don't judge) - the site is crazydaysandnights.net -- it's stupid gossip site. I'm using someone else's MAC which is why I'm so concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As you're "using someone else's MAC", maybe you should have "Private Browsing…" enabled. And I sure hope you're setup and logged in as your own separate user. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.