*urgent* no anti static bag until tomorrow

Reaction score
i just removed my crashed hd and was going to try and put it in my external case to try and recover my data. unfortunately, it's a SATA hd and a ATA case. i am going to take it to a place on saturday, which i'm leaving for tomorrow to see if they can't recover the data. However, I don't have any anti static bags to store this in. I know it's best to store it in the bag but no place is open right now (12:10 AM). I might be able to pick one up at work tomorrow but until then I need to know if if would be fine to wrapped in a few sheets of paper and then a towel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
leave it in your computer?

OP
N
Reaction score
no room to take the computer...going on train with another computer...i think i can get a bag tomorrow at work before i leave...i'm just concerned about it tonight

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Put it on a shelf out of the way where no one will be shuffling their feet across the carpet as they go to pick it up. It's really not that big an issue.

OP
N
Reaction score
thank you very much...i'm just really stressed about the possibility of not being able to recover my data (no back up!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I wouldn't worry about it. I've stripped down and rebuilt computers for years and slowly gotten to the point that I stopped bothering with anti-static bag for parts, and stopped worrying about grounding myself when I worked on them... And I have never caused any damage to the computer or parts from not being cautious. Frankly I think most parts are much less sensitive to static than they once were.

If it were me I would probably just stick the hard drive into my jacket pocket and go on my merry way.

Now if your hard drive has crashed, there is a real chance you wont get anything off the thing. So don't get the expectations up to high.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.