!!urgent!! Huge prob! Pleeease help!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but... here it goes anyway...

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a application to change my mac's appearance. I downloaded an application called "Cloak" It lets you change the applications window color (so it says...).

I then proceeded to click a color. My Apple bar up top restarted and same with my dock. Nothing else changed. So I uninstalled the application.

Now the problem is that whenever you click ANYWHERE or ANYTHING on the Apple bar up top it freezes for a second and then restarts, and if there is an application open when you do this the application quits and says "ex: Safari has quit unexpectedly".

If you right-click on the dock or it's items it restart and quits an app. If you try an use keyboard shortcuts the same result happens!!

WHAT?! Please please please help!!!

Specs:

I am running a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard.

I tried restarting re-booting stuff like that no change!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect the "Cloak" application was not completely uninstalled. I looked for uninstall instructions on the developer's web site and could find none. Usually just dragging the application to the Trash is enough, but "Cloak" might have placed hooks into the system which must be removed.

The only thing I can suggest is use Spotlight to search for anything related to the application and remove it. Of course if you have a backup (Time Machine) using it to restore would be best.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try repairing permissions through Disk Utility.
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilitiy

Did you uninstall it via the Apps Uninstaller ??

If not there might be some files/folders hiding somewhere that need to be gotten rid of.
If thats the situation, if your game re install it and use something like AppCleaner which you just drag the App to it or AppTrap and it sits in the preferences and you just drag said App to trash and works on the lines of the other i mentioned......
If still have trouble post back ...

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
I suspect the "Cloak" application was not completely uninstalled. I looked for uninstall instructions on the developer's web site and could find none. Usually just dragging the application to the Trash is enough, but "Cloak" might have placed hooks into the system which must be removed.

The only thing I can suggest is use Spotlight to search for anything related to the application and remove it. Of course if you have a backup (Time Machine) using it to restore would be best.

Regards.

I would do this but I can't click anywhere at all on the Apple Bar. or it restarts...

OP
A
Reaction score
Try repairing permissions through Disk Utility.
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilitiy

Did you uninstall it via the Apps Uninstaller ??

If not there might be some files/folders hiding somewhere that need to be gotten rid of.
If thats the situation, if your game re install it and use something like AppCleaner which you just drag the App to it or AppTrap and it sits in the preferences and you just drag said App to trash and works on the lines of the other i mentioned......
If still have trouble post back ...

Cheers

Mm I will try this and let you know what happens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would do this but I can't click anywhere at all on the Apple Bar. or it restarts...

You can get to Spotlight with the cmd~space key combo and then just type in. FYI :)

OP
A
Reaction score
You can get to Spotlight with the cmd~space key combo and then just type in. FYI :)

thanks so much but none of this works at all. i cant right click click on menu bar right click on desktop, right click on dock, or even copy, cut, or paste.
it all sends an error!!! and i thought that time machine automatically backed up since day 1... what can I do everything is screwed up!??! :(

Thanks for helping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well a cpl of things. Create a new user account and see if you have the problem there. My guess is it will all be fine there BC Cloak wasnt installed there but give it a go. Then we will know if it system wide or just to your user account.
If you have a backup and it is your Acc then might be a option to Make a new Admin Acc and migrate it all over to your new acc and delete the other horror one.
But before that, would be worth it if you rebooted from the install disk that came with your Mac, and hold down the 'c' key whilst booting. Choose language then from the installer window , go to Disk Utility and run the repairs again ....

One step at a time :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Well a cpl of things. Create a new user account and see if you have the problem there. My guess is it will all be fine there BC Cloak wasnt installed there but give it a go. Then we will know if it system wide or just to your user account.
If you have a backup and it is your Acc then might be a option to Make a new Admin Acc and migrate it all over to your new acc and delete the other horror one.
But before that, would be worth it if you rebooted from the install disk that came with your Mac, and hold down the 'c' key whilst booting. Choose language then from the installer window , go to Disk Utility and run the repairs again ....

One step at a time :)

thanks so much but, booting from the disk doesnt even work and i created another user account nothing happened, except for now when i open an application the icon bounces on the dock then stops...no application...nothin even runs now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sounds like your problems are beyond the reach of the help you might receive here for fixing it yourself. (You've tried things suggested so far without success.) Is it under warranty? Perhaps you should find the nearest Apple authorized repair shop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
I had noton antii virus on my mac which i wanted to uninstall, even using a program called APP ZAPPER didnt get rid of it, it had its own un install program in its program folder id try searching for this. It seemed to remove all the files and removed the left overs of the program. Can you get access to your applications folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 MBP, iMac, iPhone
Take it to the genius bar, they fixed mine.

Reaction score
I'd suggest deleting the following files:

Users/<username)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
Users/<username)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

This will reset the finder and dock to defaults. Make sure documents on your desktop are backed up.

OP
A
Reaction score

This will reset the finder and dock to defaults. Make sure documents on your desktop are backed up.

are you sure this won't delete the dock and finder??
i am anxious to do this but don't know about it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a backup it might be time for a reinstall of SL then ....
If it is the same in a user account the problem you have is system wide and not confined to just your account.
Hope you have a back up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Those are only preference files, they will not delete the dock or finder. Basically all it does is set those preferences to default. So assuming that the problem is within those preference files, this will "reset" the dock and finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Positive. I usually suggest moving the files (found in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences) to the Desktop first. Once the new ones are created and working, then put the old ones in the Trash. But, as you say, you're unable to navigate in Finder, so it's a moot point for now.

Again, I suggest taking it to an authorized Apple repair center. Your reluctance to try things, and your lack of familiarity with some standard troubleshooting steps suggests this might be the best course of action for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Positive. I usually suggest moving the files (found in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences) to the Desktop first. Once the new ones are created and working, then put the old ones in the Trash. But, as you say, you're unable to navigate in Finder, so it's a moot point for now.

Again, I suggest taking it to an authorized Apple repair center. Your reluctance to try things, and your lack of familiarity with some standard troubleshooting steps suggests this might be the best course of action for you.

okay thanks for all the support you guys!!!
but I cannot even open finder!! how can I delete those files then??
I am furious! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
thanks so much but, booting from the disk doesnt even work and i created another user account nothing happened, except for now when i open an application the icon bounces on the dock then stops...no application...nothin even runs now

When u say booting from the disk does not work - Did you press the power button and then insert the install disk and hold down the C key?
If that works do an Archive and Install to get a fresh OS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.