Upgrading to Yosemite

Reaction score
After receiving an offer from Apple to upgrade to Yosemite, I did and my MacBook Pro was totally useless, I could do nothing at all, even couldn't start it. I had to get into disk utility immediately after switching it on, chose Time Machine and start again Maverick from there. Already upgrading from Mountain Lion to Maverick was a similar problem and Apple UK made me buy the Mountain Lion CD (that already was inside my MacBook Pro) to upgrade from there because the said that was no possible to upgrade from a Mountain Lion upgraded from Snow Leopard. Never ever again I will upgrade anything from Apple online. Full stop.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Something is a little confusing here. To the best of my knowledge there was no Mountain Lion CD/DVD full install or update. There was a need for some users to purchase the retail Snow Leopard DVD in order to install and access the App Store.

There shouldn't have even been a need for that though if that was the DVD inside your machine (unless of course the DVD was damaged).

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, sorry, Slydude, what Apple sold me was Snow Leopard what was more bizarre since I had already Mountain Lion installed.

Anyway, the problem was resolved but never again. A mate from a charity where I am doing voluntary work and they only use Apple PCs told me that all could be due to that my MacBook Pro is too old.

It is...

Thank you for your answer.

Kind regards.

Tino

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which exact Mac is it? How much memory does it have?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that information is correct then the machine should be able to install Yosemite. Officially the mid and late 2007 MacBook Pros support Yosemite as long as there is at least 2 GB of ram installed and 8 GB of free disk space.See here

The 320 GB number that you listed is the hard drive size not the total amount of memory. If you click on the hard drive in the Finder and choose Get Info what does that window show for free and available space?

Am I understanding correctly that you have managed to get Mavericks re-installed from a backup? If so you could install Yosemite without using the CD. I don't think it would run well if you still have only the stock 2 GB of ram.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Slydude.

Thank you for our help and I am sorry not to be too clever.

The memory is 4GB.

I am attaching a doc were you can see what did happen. The pictures were taken with mobile phone and as soon as I've got Maverick back I downloaded and made this doc to file in a folder called "Problems" to consult any time that I have the same issue and I would no remember what I did in the past.

I choose the doc that I did copy in my desktop as pdf and click to attach, but I am not sure if I did it correctly.

View attachment Problem upgrading to Yosemite.pdf

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. The screenshots were helpful thanks for that.

It looks like the initial problem was that the OS X installer detected some disk-related errors during the installation process. Along the way something, perhaps the underly disk errors, caused the OS to see the disk as locked.

Now that you are back to Mavericks let's see how to proceed (assuming that you want to install Yosemite):

1. I would keep backing up your machine regularly. The kinds of errors that the installer flagged are sometimes the first indication of future problems with the drive. I may die tomorrow or a decade from now. Either way you're prepared with a backup.

2. The next step I would do is to reboot the Mac and press Command R to get to the recovery partition. Rather than press R repeatedly you can can simply keep the keys depressed till it boots from the recovery partition.

3. Repair the disk using Disk Utility. It might be necessary to run it more than once. Repairing permissions probably won't hurt but may not make much difference. The system file permissions should be reset correctly during installation,

4, If you didn't save the installer from before download again and reinstall Yosemite. If you have to download it again consider making a copy of the installer file so you can make a bootable USB disk. You must save the file before you click Continue during the installation.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, the Time Machine keeps backing up every hour and it is in an external HD. Thanks to that I did manage to reinstall Maverick and all the data and information that I had before, so I didn’t lose anything.

I do the backup in any of the other PCs, the Shuttle with Ubuntu Linux and the Lenovo with Windows 8.1. The Linus back up works the same than the Time Machine and keeps updating regularly on its own. Windows... well, leave it... I need to open File History and click in “System back up” and take ages to do it (when decides to do it...) in other external HD.

I am going to do what you said and I will back to you with the results as soon as I finish the mess.

Talk to you later. And thank you once more.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another case of making a USB thumb drive after downloading and erasing the hard drive and doing a clean install.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, harryb2448

I can't recall saying that I am using a USB thumb drive or flash memory stick to backup at all...

I am using as Time Machine an external SATA Maxtor HD in a StarchTech dock and for Linux and Windows an external Fujitsu Siemens 1Tb HD.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Slydude.

I've found this link and the lady in the video says that MacBooks before 2008 are more likely no being able to upgrade to Yosemite.

How to download Mac OS X Yosemite, how to prepare your Mac for Yosemite - How to - Macworld UK

Also, at the end of the article, I can see that I am not the only one with this problem and that upgrading from Maverick is a real nightmare or impossible to do.

Also the lady says the same than you about faulty HD and it seems that is not too easy repair a faulty HD.

I am starting to think that your prediction about the HD dying is the real thing; it looks like my MacBook has reached the end of its life...

What do you tink?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.