Upgrading OS X

Reaction score
Hello...

With all the talk about Leopard I'm wondering what upgrading might be like. Coming from windows I'm wary of upgrading unless it's from home to pro. I wouldn't upgrade from 2000 to XP, I'd reinstall.

Does anyone have any guesses on what the upgrade process from 10.4.9 to 10.5 might be like, or how smooth it might go?

And, any suggestions on whether to upgrade right away or if it's better wait a while?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Put in DVD. Restart holding C. Choose whether to wipe and install, or save all your programs and files and install.

Wait.

You have the new version of OS X installed.

Reaction score
Hello...

With all the talk about Leopard I'm wondering what upgrading might be like. Coming from windows I'm wary of upgrading unless it's from home to pro. I wouldn't upgrade from 2000 to XP, I'd reinstall.

Does anyone have any guesses on what the upgrade process from 10.4.9 to 10.5 might be like, or how smooth it might go?

And, any suggestions on whether to upgrade right away or if it's better wait a while?

I understand your concerns - my background is both Windows and various flavors of Linux and upgrades always used to concern me. Not anymore - I just upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.9 and it was the easiest one I have ever done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Archive and Install will leave your profile and files intact, while installing the new version of OSX. When you reboot, your files and folders, even your network settings and desktop backround will be as before.

Clean Install will simply install a new copy of the OS. When you reboot you will have to create a new profile and then move your stuff from your old profile to the new one.

Neither will delete your files, profile or even the old version of the system. You will have to remove all of those manually. A file backup is recommended, but I have never done one and never had any problems.

A Wipe will obviously reformat your hard drive and wipe your data clean. This requires you to backup all of your data or lose it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.