upgraded to 8G RAM early 2011 MPB 13' getting random kernel panic..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, I upgraded RAM from

OWC 1333DDR3S4GB 4.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz... in stock at OWC

and it seems like I get kernel panics randomly. I never had this happen ever before RAM upgrade...

faulty RAM...?

Yes...most likely faulty ram...for two reasons:

1. Like you said this didn't happen before the ram upgrade.
2. "Bad" ram is one of the #1 hardware related reasons for a kernel panic.

Usually OWC is a great place to get "Mac Stuff"...but I guess no one's perfect. They have a great return policy...so you should have no troubles returning the ram...and getting a replacement. If you still get the kernel panics AFTER the 2nd set of ram...then the problem may be something else.

Matter of fact...you should probably reinstall your old ram...and see if you get kernel panics BEFORE returning the ram (just in case the problem is something else).

Good luck,

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Certainly the likely candidate - pull it back out and see if you're still getting it. You could also just try reseating the RAM - but it does seem likely that you may have some faulty RAM.

Edit: Yes - Nick and I practice our synchronized posting - it's not easy to do. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.