Upgraded accidentally!

Reaction score
This evening I was syncing my iPhone 4S with my MacBook Pro to download some songs when it came up with "iTunes update available" so I hit OK. Twenty minutes later my phone had been updated to OS 8.2 (12D508) which I have been resisting ever since it came out due to all the problems I have read about.
Can I go back to my previous version 7? Have they solved most of the problems now or am I entering a period of frustration?
Beware, if you don't want to update, don't update iTunes!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I go back to my previous version 7? Have they solved most of the problems now or am I entering a period of frustration?
Beware, if you don't want to update, don't update iTunes!

No going back because Apple is no longer signing iOS 7. You should be OK with iOS 8.2, however, it does take up more space on your 4S.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is that referring to cascag comment or all the problems reported on here? :eek:

i think he's referring to the comments about problems. Chscag's comment about IOS no longer being "signed" is correct.

C

chas_m

Definitely was not referring to Charlie's comment. What I meant was that most of the "problems" experienced in iOS 8 are the result of user error, not actual box. Assuming you're reasonably intelligent user, you should have no trouble with iOS 8 at all.

OP
C
Reaction score
Definitely was not referring to Charlie's comment. What I meant was that most of the "problems" experienced in iOS 8 are the result of user error, not actual box. Assuming you're reasonably intelligent user, you should have no trouble with iOS 8 at all.

Thanks all, and yes, so far all seems well apart from the lack of space, down to just 700Mb available now.

One little (annoying) thing, before the upgrade, in iTunes I have only downloaded one "album" onto my iPhone and that is an album of British Bird Songs, never any actual music. However, a U2 album has mysteriously appeared and integrated itself alphabetically into my bird songs and I can't get rid of it! Against each of the 12 songs from that U2 album there is a little "cloud" with a red down-pointing arrow.
Any ideas as to how I can get rid of this U2 album please? When I sync into my MacBook Pro and look at the music on my iPhone, it doesn't appear in the list? Most odd!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Any ideas as to how I can get rid of this U2 album please? When I sync into my MacBook Pro and look at the music on my iPhone, it doesn't appear in the list? Most odd!

As far as I know, you cannot get rid of it on iPhone, you need to do it via iTunes on your Mac: login to iTunes store, on the right hand side, toward the top of the page you'll see "Purchased", click on that, now you can see U2 and any other stuff you bought (or were gifted), but no longer have on your iPhone or in your iTunes (i.e. deleted apps, music, TV shows, etc, etc).

If you position your cursor on an item you want to rid off permanently, you'll see a little [x] in the top left hand corner - click on that and you're done. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
:) Not at all, glad I could help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.