Upgrade SSD in New MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Mid-2014 Running Yosimite
I just purchased a MacBook Pro with 128gb SSD. I couldn't afford to purchase the models with more storage. I will, however, be coming into more money soon and would like to upgrade my MacBook with a 512GB SSD.

First, is this possible?
Do you know the approximate cost if Apple does the upgrade?
Are there decent third party SSD retailers.
I've changed the hard drives out on Win PCs. Is there a good tutorial or video mapping out the process for switching out? Including backing up the OS before switching?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help. I'm glad to be part of the community!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Technically speaking…the ram & storage in new MacBook Pro's is not upgradeable after purchase. You REALLY should have been aware of this BEFORE purchasing…and upgraded accordingly.

Technically…it should be possible to upgrade the storage in a 2014 MacBook Pro. Here are some storage upgrades for previous model retina MacBook Pro's (2012 & 2013 models). These may work with 2014 models as well. Maybe contact OWC about it.:)

I'm not really sure taking it to Apple is a great idea. They may just tell you it is not upgradeable.

- Nick

p.s. By the way. Retina MacBook Pro's don't have an SSD (at least not what most folks think that an SSD looks like). It usually called "flash storage"…and looks more like a stick of ram than an internal HD or SSD in an enclosure.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I sure hope it's up-gradable. I may just purchase an external drive for storage, as I use it as a desktop replacement and don't need my stuff away from home.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I sure hope it's up-gradable. I may just purchase an external drive for storage, as I use it as a desktop replacement and don't need my stuff away from home.

I know that it can be expensive (extra expense) to purchase the larger storage upgrade when purchasing the computer (this is what Apple wants us to do). Hopefully there is an upgrade available. Definitely give OWC a call or email…to see if they have a solution.

I meant to include this link in my earlier post:

OWC SSD (Flash) Drives for Apple MacBook Pro Retina Models 2012 & early 2013

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I think I found what I need! An external storage solution.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
External solutions are definitely easy to do!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
It is technically possible to replace the SSD in the new retina Macbook Pros. Here is a guide on the subject. The issue is that Apple is the supplier of these drives and they do not sell them separately. If you were able to find a larger capacity drive from a third party seller (who had presumably pulled it from another MBP) then you might be able to provide yourself with an upgrade that way.

Good news is that Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 provide pretty fast data transfer speeds so using an external drive can get you results that are almost as good as having everything plugged in internally.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good news is that Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 provide pretty fast data transfer speeds so using an external drive can get you results that are almost as good as having everything plugged in internally.

The bad news is having to drag that around with you if you're a student or someone who is on the road. Give it time and OWC will have a replacement kit for the latest retina MacBook Pro machine.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bad news is having to drag that around with you if you're a student or someone who is on the road. Give it time and OWC will have a replacement kit for the latest retina MacBook Pro machine.

That's what I'm hoping. Luckily most of the stuff I need to store will be needed at home only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.