Upgrade OS

Reaction score
I am trying to help a friend upgrade her mac to tiger so she can run quark 7 we are happy she has enoguh ram and cpu power but we now just want to know how to do it. Can it be done as an over the top so she doesn't lose any settings and if so how is it done ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It's easy. Get a copy of Tiger, pop in the disk and choose the upgrade option. All her files and settings will be left intact. Just curious, what kind of Mac is it and what are the specs? She might be better off with Leopard if her system meets the requirements. Leopard is the newest version of OS X and in my experience runs great on older Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I am trying to help a friend upgrade her mac to tiger so she can run quark 7 we are happy she has enough ram and cpu power but we now just want to know how to do it. Can it be done as an over the top so she doesn't lose any settings and if so how is it done ?

1. You will need a full retail copy of Tiger (not the grey disks),
2. Boot the Mac from the Tiger disk,
3. Choose Archive & Install from the Disk Utility (that will preserve all the software on the Mac). Some settings will need to be redone,
4. Get maximum RAM for that model of Mac, Tiger (or Leopard) will run better.

Be aware that Leopard will not run Classic (OS 9) applications, but Tiger will. Upgrades to the latest Tiger (10.4.11) are free once you've got the full, legal version of it installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.