upgrade ibook hdd

OP
C

crisrose

cheers guys, seems OS9 wasn't installed on mine either, and i still only had 18gb... Hmmm...

As for networking, i still can't get it hooked up to my PC...

But i think you might want to start another thread as it's a little off topic.

I should have gone for the 80GB hard drive!!

Especially as i have a EOS 300D and i can fill a 1GB card in a weekend..

OP
N

Ninja

I have applecare on my ibook, will this void it? I ordered an 80 gig toshiba drive, would they be able to tell the differance?

OP
J

jbsengineer

Ninja said:
I have applecare on my ibook, will this void it? I ordered an 80 gig toshiba drive, would they be able to tell the differance?

yes it would technically but....

the G4 iBooks do not have any tape or warranty seals when you remove the harddrive (i know first hand). so if you were to put a bigger one in. then if something were to go wrong. swap your old HD back in and send it out. that's what i was planning on doing. I made sure to leave no finger prints and was delicate not to strip screws and leave any evidence of the case ever being cracked open by me.

it's all a gamble. it's honestlly really not that hard to install one.....

josh

OP
N

Ninja

Comp USA will do it for 30 bucks if you provide the drive, and it doesn't void the warrenty. I think I'll just have them do it.

OP
J

jbsengineer

Ninja said:
Comp USA will do it for 30 bucks if you provide the drive, and it doesn't void the warrenty. I think I'll just have them do it.

really??? is that documented anywhere or did you call them?

Josh

OP
N

Ninja

I called the apple store near me and they said they didn't do it, but gave me some places that would, and Comp USA has a certified apple tech there, so I guess if apple people do the upgrade it will still be good. Should I go for a 5200rpm drive or stick with the 4200? Will there be that much of a performance differance?

OP
J

jbsengineer

Ninja said:
I called the apple store near me and they said they didn't do it, but gave me some places that would, and Comp USA has a certified apple tech there, so I guess if apple people do the upgrade it will still be good. Should I go for a 5200rpm drive or stick with the 4200? Will there be that much of a performance differance?

I've read people's comments on the fact there was a performance difference. Everything from booting to opening up GB.

josh

OP
W

warrenbert

I bought a Hitachi 60GB/7200RPM drive from newegg.com and self-installed. Not as difficult as it looks in the pictures. Just make sure you have the right set of tools. I'm not sure if you really need to remove the bottom cover on the new ibooks. I proceeded to do it anyways and all went well. Separating the plastic parts takes some careful prying, but if you take precautions to protect the outer surfaces, your cosmetics will be maintained.

OP
J

jbsengineer

warrenbert said:
I bought a Hitachi 60GB/7200RPM drive from newegg.com and self-installed. Not as difficult as it looks in the pictures. Just make sure you have the right set of tools. I'm not sure if you really need to remove the bottom cover on the new ibooks. I proceeded to do it anyways and all went well. Separating the plastic parts takes some careful prying, but if you take precautions to protect the outer surfaces, your cosmetics will be maintained.

you do not need to move the bottom shield. it can stay there. saves you like 5 or 6 screws. i agree. it's actually very easy of a job if you have the tools and make sure to use a credit card to split the case, :)...

Josh

OP
D

djsaint

I just ordered a new drive for my iBook G4 from NewEgg. I went with the 60GB-7200RPM model.

- Any advice on installing the new hard drive?

- What guide did you follow?

- How does G4 installation compare to G3 installation? (Any changes you can share in verbose detail helps)

- Any steps you skip with the G4 installation (in comparison to G3)?

Thanks in advance.

- Chuck

OP
W

warrenbert

This is the guide I followed:

http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/

Notes:

The photos from this guide are fairly accurate, but not from a recent model.

There is no longer any "tape" anywhere inside.

The hard drive is retained by a metal bracket.

Some of the screws are different, but as long as you have a set of small phillips (1, 0, 00) , flat-head and torx tools, you'll be OK.

Like Josh mentioned, you don't have to remove the lower cover on the recent iBooks. If you can interpret the instructions well enough to just take off the top cover (with kb and trackpad) and top shield, you will save a little time.

I read somewhere that you have to remove the lower-right pin from the Hitachi to make it work. I did this and it works fine, but you may try to skip this step and see if it works for you.

Use the right tools, wear an anti-static wrist strap and never force anything too hard.

Good luck and enjoy the speed!

Reaction score
On the new Ibook G4's you only need to remove the top. Use a plastic card like a credit card but thinner, like those wallet info cards you get from some insurance companies as a separation tool. There's one clip inside the battery compartment as well. Besides the bottom screws (3) there are 4 screws in the battery compartment as well. Lift the left side first so you can hinge up to the right so the case will clear the power connector. Once the top is off, remove about 15 tiny screws that hold the top sheild on. The rest is easy. There are three connectors on the top cover, speakers, pwr switch and trackpad that have to come off as well.

ed724

OP
S

sebeck

Just ordered the Hitachi 60gb 7200 rpm. Will be replacing my hdd when i get home on March 22nd. :-D

OP
A

amartins02

Any updates on this guys? Everything go well? Did using a higher rpm drive drain your battery?

OP
C

crisrose

Having looked at the datasheets for 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives, both types have (unsuprisingly) higher power consumption, so the battery won't last as long.

OP
D

djsaint

Well, I am going to take the plunge tonight and try to install my new Hitachi 7200RPM Hard Drive into my iBook. Wish me luck! Also, I am open to any last minute advice.

Thanks,

:: chuck hasek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
is it already formatted? if not, do so.

OP
D

djsaint

Any reason you mentioned formatting it first?

Also, for the new iBooks, I see that you do not have to remove the lower case and shield. BUT do I still have to remove the lower T8 and feet screws?

Thanks,

Chuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I mentioned it cause most new hd's, including laptops, arent pre formatted to HFS+.
theres no need to remove the bottom, everything is pretty much accessed by removing the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.