Upgrade from 10.6 to ?

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro is a late 2008 2.40 Duo Core with 2GB of Ram, looking to upgrade the OS. Currently running 10.6.6. Usage is for storing, syncing and playing music files and internet radio, plus backup for when the PC crashes. I need at least 10.8 for Rdio, should I go to mountain lion, mavericks or Yosemite? I apologize if there are already some good threads on this, if so could someone point me in the right direction?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With only 2gig of ram...I wouldn't go higher than 10.8. If you added ram (4gig or more)...then going higher may be ok.

But...at the moment Mavericks is not available since Yosemite was released. So Yosemite would be your only other option. Running Yosemite with 4gig of ram may be ok (some folks say 8gig is better). But your computer cannot run 8gig of ram.

So without any upgrades...I'm saying go with 10.8.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I'm running yosemite on my mid 2010 macbook with 4GB of RAM and all seems stable.

Admittedly it's light use only: browsing, iTunes, email, the odd office document, etc but it seems fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A late 2008 2.4" GHz MBP will take 8GB of PC-8500 DDR3 RAM. These were the first of the unibody design. My wife's one is running Yosemite very well with 8GB and a 256GB SSD.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did make a mistake in my first post however, it is NOT a late 2008 but an early 2008 instead. I put my SN in at apple and it came back as an early 2008. Looking under "memory" in the "about this mac" contents I only see two memory slots.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looking under "memory" in the "about this mac" contents I only see two memory slots.

Most (if not all) Apple laptops with upgradeable ram from the last 10+ years only have 2 ram slots. It's not the number of ram slots that determine the max. ram. In any case...an Early 2008 MacBook Pro has a max. ram of 6gig.

As suggested earlier. If you stay with 2gig of ram...upgrade to 10.8. If you decide to upgrade the ram...then 10.9 or 10.10 could be a possibility.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or just use a different app like Spotify or similar that run in SL 10.6.8 and are even free.
Spotify for Mac | MacUpdate

It seems a bit strange to do an whole OS X upgrade just to run the Rdio application. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Or just use a different app like Spotify or similar that run in SL 10.6.8 and are even free.
Spotify for Mac | MacUpdate

It seems a bit strange to do an whole OS X upgrade just to run the Rdio application. ;)

Well yeah I do like my music and I originally purchased the MacBook was just for that. I figure an OS upgrade is a good thing anyhow, isn't it? I don't know much about Spotify or Boot Camp or any of that non Apple stuff, kinda afraid to mess with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well yeah I do like my music and I originally purchased the MacBook was just for that. I figure an OS upgrade is a good thing anyhow, isn't it? I don't know much about Spotify or Boot Camp or any of that non Apple stuff, kinda afraid to mess with it.

It's just an app with a service. and nothing to do with Boot Camp or any of that non Apple stuff.

Have a read at their site for more details, and I can't help much further and I don't even need or use their application or service.
https://www.spotify.com/us/

OP
B
Reaction score
It's just an app with a service. and nothing to do with Boot Camp or any of that non Apple stuff.

Have a read at their site for more details, and I can't help much further and I don't even need or use their application or service.

OK now I feel stupid.....I never checked out Spotify before. So I downloaded the app on my mac and on my android phone. So now my entire iTunes library is available to me thru this service??? How does that happen? Is it my own files or are they matching them?

Not sure how I feel about their genre stations tho....I still like Rdio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, not a heck of a lot of difference just looking at their home pages from what I can see or tell:
Rdio

any, use whatever you like and there are lots of other choices as well, and a lot that still run in SL 10.6.8, and even iTunes and it's options.

Your choice, and I just thought I'd mention that you have all kinds of choices. ;)

And that include many that don't even require an OS X upgrade!! :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Been learning all about Spotify and working out some bugs. I have been a longtime Pandora user but recently heard a really good station on Rdio that I must have. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you already know that even iTunes has many radio stations available just from the iTunes.app itself, but they seem to like hiding them fro some strange reason. Most of the free as well.

Maybe that station you like is included. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.