Upgrade Apple TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2020 (M1) iPhone 14 Ipad 8th gen ATV 4K 2nd gen
I have an Apple TV 4K 1st gen: Model A1842 and have upgraded the remote to the
2nd gen Siri remote.
Does it make any sense to upgrade to the newset Apple TV?

Thanks for your opinions!!!
Ken

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your device is working well, I don't think you're getting anything new with an upgrade. I bought a newer model cuz I moved the old one to the basement. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't have bothered.

Is there any specific thing you want from the new model that isn't present in your current model?

OP
M915 Driver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the response.
I was just thinking about how long this device would be supported with software updates?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The 1st gen ATV came out in 2017 and the latest version of tvOS supports it. Unlike your phone, having ATV go out of support doesn't increase a security risk, just a matter of perhaps not being able to run some new app that needs a newer version of the OS.

So I would think you still have a few years left before you'll have to think about upgrading and then you can jump to the 5th gen or whatever is out then.

OP
M915 Driver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply.
Between the two replies to my question, I think i'm gonna keep my ATV!!
Thank you both again
Ken

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One of the biggest problems with streaming devices (just like all electronics)...when they get older...they get much slower (due to how things change/get more complex over time).

2 Christmas's ago I was in the market for a new steaming device (the builtin streaming on my smart TV's had gotten VERY slow)...also have a couple older Roku devices (slow).

I did some research...and came very very close to purchasing the newest 3rd Gen Apple TV 4K...but wifey had already purchased the newest Roku model...so we stuck with that.

In the research I did...it said due to a newer CPU (A15 Bionic) in the latest 3rd Gen Apple TV 4K...that it was much faster than older Apple TV's. If your old Apple TV is starting to seem slow (or is slow)...a newer model could be nice. Navigating the interface, loading apps, etc...faster...can be very nice!:)

Nick

Last edited:

JesseMorrison

Reaction score
I also got an old Apple TV, been using it for the last 2 years, I can't say that it got slow or I have any problems, I use almost only screen casting from Youtube or Apple TV app maybe this is why it works perfectly well even after all this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.