Updating OSX 10.9.5 - iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to help out a family member with updating their OS X on a iMac. I am not at the same location as the iMac, the user that need help is not good with computers.

The iMac has not been updated since it was new and is running OS X 10.9.5. When I try to use the software update function from the dropdown menu (apple sign on top left part of screen) it does not show that there is a update available. When I go to App Store it only shows that OS X Catalina is available.

When we tried to download this it requested a iCloud account. If we tried to create a new on the iMac it only resulted in a error message. If I tried to create the new iCloud account from my MacBook, the iMac said that a security code was needed from one of my other devices, but there was no where I could type it in. (The code was showing on my MacBook).

I feel like I am stuck for ideas of how we could update the OS X. Have anybody experienced something similar?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
10.9.5 is the latest update to the macOS 10.9, thus Software Update won't show you anything. You need to upgrade the OS to a newer version of macOS which is done by grabbing it from the Mac App Store.

If the person who owns this computer hasn't ever created an Apple ID, they should do so to grab the copy of macOS Catalina assuming the machine is capable of supporting it.

Please have that person click on the Apple icon on the top-left, choose About this Mac and tell you and us the specifics about the machine (year, model, memory, etc.)

What error was message was received when you try to create a new Apple ID?

Reaction score
I feel like I am stuck for ideas of how we could update the OS X.

You can download any of these subsequent versions of the Mac OS. You don't say which iMac you have, so I can't tell you how far it can be updated.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite FREE
How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite - Apple Support

OS X 10.11 - El Capitan FREE
How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support
Connecting to the Mac App Store

OS X 10.12 - Sierra FREE
Connecting to the Mac App Store
macOS Sierra 10.12 Installer Download Still Available on Mac App Store - The Mac Observer
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

MacOS 10.13 - High Sierra - FREE
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

MacOS 10.14 - Mojave - FREE
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?ls=1&mt=12

MacOS 10.15 - Catalina - FREE
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

When we tried to download this it requested a iCloud account. If we tried to create a new on the iMac it only resulted in a error message. If I tried to create the new iCloud account from my MacBook, the iMac said that a security code was needed from one of my other devices, but there was no where I could type it in. (The code was showing on my MacBook).

Take note that the person who you are trying to help upgrade to a newer version of macOS will not only need to have an Apple ID, iCloud account, but also will be required to implement 2FA (Two Factor Authentication). That is the reason you received a security code from Apple. If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can type the code in from there. Or from another Mac or PC.

OP
S
Reaction score
So I have done some progress here. I managed to get to the install program for OS X Catalina, but it froze at the screen where I could choose the install location (should be around 995 GB available).

Now the App Store says that it is installed, but it obviously is not. How can I "reset" the App Store?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now the App Store says that it is installed, but it obviously is not. How can I "reset" the App Store?

Simple answer: you can't.

You will need to go to the folder where the partial download is and remove it. Then access the Mac App Store again and try the download once more.

You need to understand that the internet is overloaded right now. It doesn't matter how fast or reliable your ISP download/upload speeds are, everything is slower. Millions of folks are working from home via the net and students throughout the country are likewise on the net with their school studies.

It may take several tries before you can get Catalina downloaded and installed.

OP
S
Reaction score
I dont think this is bandwidth issue. I did check the download folder, but it was not in that folder. Does the install files for OS X use another folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, it puts the "Install macOS Catalina" (app) in the Applications folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I will check this folder next time I get access to the iMac again :)

Here's another way you can download Catalina without even going to the Mac App Store.

Open your Terminal app: Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app and type in the following exactly as shown:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.4

Leave the Terminal open until the download finishes.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
macOS OS X 10.9.5. is Mavericks, released in 2013 so if you are dealing with a 2013 iMac it just qualifies compatibility wise. I would just check with the user that it is a late 2012-2013 model.

By far the least complex way to download and install macOS Catalina would be from the App Store but as been said to do this requires an Apple ID and Password. This gives you access to the App store, iCloud etc.

You may have been fooled as I was the first time when receiving a code from Apple on your MacBook. You mention there was nowhere to enter it. Try again and grab the panel (with the code on it) and drag it to one side, you should find the
Dialogue Box behind it to enter the code. Weird huh? It happens because the code is really meant to be entered on another "trusted" device but appears on them all.

Having an Apple ID will mean that the user will receive app and OS security updates and have access to a lot of other iCloud services they may or may not want but they can all be turned off if required.

Just remember Catalina is the first 64bit only OS so if your friend is running any 32bit apps they will not function in Catalina.
If so upgrading to Mojave macOS 10.14 would be a better option. Randy has posted a link for this OS in post #4

This site gives instructions on how to check for 32bit apps;
How to Check for 32-bit Apps in Mac - Make Tech Easier

Lastly I strongly advise a complete backup of the device before any upgrade is attempted. eg. Time Machine (after all it is World backup Day)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.