Updating firmware Samsung SSD

Reaction score
:[ I replaced Super Drive in my iMAC (late 2011 - OS Yosemite) with a Samsung EVO SSD and now I would like to update SSD firmware using the .iso from Samsung but I'm not able to boot from an external USB Super Drive. Someone knows what I can do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much info to go on here..... If the Samsung firmware update has to be installed from bootable media, you can always create a bootable USB flash drive and place the Samsung firmware update on it. Then boot your iMac with the USB flash drive and install the firmware.

How to make a bootable Yosemite usb drive

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
Many thanks

I'll try it and keep you posted.
Thanks.

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
No way to update

When the "famous" Apple Super Drive in my late 2011 iMac is broken I decided to replace it with a Samsung EVO SSD just to speed up my Mac. At that time I did not know that Apple doesn't like this kind of operation and so if you do so, it becomes impossible to boot your iMac from any external DVD driver device or USB port.
The result is that today I cannot update my SSD firmware, I cannot use bootCamp, I cannot do anything that needs a boot from and external drive.
That's all Folks.

I hate Apple!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can hate Apple if you wish, but you're wrong about not being able to boot your iMac from a USB drive or external DVD drive. Our members do it all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to me that's a Samsung problem not Apple's. Maybe you can return that SSD and get another that does not need a firmware update in order to work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
IIRC, being a heavy Samsung SSD and other memory user. You can't upgrade the firmware on a MAC. The ISO images were just CD images of the windows software to install the new firmware from. However that could have changed in the past few months, that said there is NOTHING stopping the OP from booting any Mac Compatible system as long as it is bootable. For example I can burn Linux to CD or DVD and boot all day long new versions of that OS to my hearts content.

All this to the side, if its not booting, its a UGE or something Samsung may have over looked.
But why would you want to update the firmware unless its not functioning correctly. If its new it should have the latest firmware anyway.

I have my Samsung 830series 256GB SSD and Apple 1TB HDD in a 1.25TB fusion array and it runs great. Highly recommended.. And BTW, I never had a reason to want or need to upgrade my drives firmware. It runs perfectly as it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.