updating an old ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l have an old ipad, and can't seem to update, l took a screen shot on it and even though it has airdrop option it cant find any mac device :( so took a pic of the screen shot, please see attachment IMG_1836.JPG

when l connect it to my itunes, l dont see an update option, even when l right click the ipad. though it allows me to 'set up as new ipad' but this will delete everything right? and 'restore from this back up' goes all way back from 2013. is it possible to update to latest, as my skype on it needs to be updated, and cant be used unless l am on version ios 10 or later :( help!

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 23.08.59.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the "1" Notification in Settings > General for? What about in Settings > General >Software Update?

It's hard to identify that iPad model #, but it looks to be an iPad Air, which should run iOS 12.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It appears that this is a 2013 iPad Mini 2. If the updates you are referring to are iOS updates...it appears to currently be running iOS 8...and it is capable of running the latest iOS (iOS 12)...but some iOS 12 features may not work since it is a 6 year old iPad mini.

- Nick

p.s. Beat me to it Bob.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Patrick and fellow gurus, I think I know how to do it now thanks for tips in previous post that seems to have disappeared. questions still remain, when i connect the ipad to my mbpr's itunes,itunes says: 'Welcome to your new ipad would you like to set up this ipad as a new ipad or restore all of your information from a previous back up?" it gives me these two choices to check 'set up as new ipad' or 'restore from this backup: D's iPad' I dont want to do either, since there have been many apps and photos taken on it since that hasnt been backed up on my mbpr (don't want it backed up there to save space). I only want to update. so do I have any other choice but choose one of the two? but it seems I have to update to the latest version of itunes on my mac to update the ipad. how is this done? I am running the latest macOS Mojave 10.14.5 and there are no choices to update anything.
thanks for help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Patrick and fellow gurus, I think I know how to do it now thanks for tips in previous post that seems to have disappeared.

Threads merged. The other thread did not disappear...it's located in the iPad area...you posted the latest thread in the iPod area.;)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If all you want to do is update the iOS, you can achieve that without using iTunes at all.

Make sure that your iDevice is connected to a direct power source. Also make sure that you are in a strong Wi-Fi signal environment.

Then, as others have hinted, go into Settings, then General, then Software update. You can update the device over the air (OTA). It may take some time given how out of date your iOS is. You don’t need iTunes.

Afterwards, if you wish to do so, you can backup your device to iCloud assuming you have enough storage space available.

For future reference, you can bypass iTunes another way, but that costs money. You could purchase iMazing 2. This does everything that iTunes can do, and more.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
If all you want to do is update the iOS, you can achieve that without using iTunes at all.

Make sure that your iDevice is connected to a direct power source. Also make sure that you are in a strong Wi-Fi signal environment.

Then, as others have hinted, go into Settings, then General, then Software update. You can update the device over the air (OTA). It may take some time given how out of date your iOS is. You don’t need iTunes.

Afterwards, if you wish to do so, you can backup your device to iCloud assuming you have enough storage space available.

For future reference, you can bypass iTunes another way, but that costs money. You could purchase iMazing 2. This does everything that iTunes can do, and more.

Ian
thanks for suggestion Ian, tried it on one of my 2 ipads, and it was indeed 'updated' over the air, going through the whole process, now have update version 9.3.5 (13G36) not sure if thats an update. when tried to download ''youtube'' app it says it needs ios 10.0. please see attachment. when it is connected to itunes via cable it says 'IOS 9.3.5 Your software is up to date' but its obviously not up to date.

the other ipad Model is 'MD532ZP/A' has version 8.1.3 (12B466) doesnt allow over the air updating. it needs to be connected to itunes where l get the two choices again 'set up as new ipad' or 'restore from this backup' so guess for this ipad l have to choose one of the 2 choices to update to ios 12?

why is the first ipad saying 9.3.5 is up to date, and other has choice to update to 12?

thanks for help

IMG_5299.PNG

IMG_2940.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
To get the YouTube app, you can look in the iPad App Store Purchased page, it should be listed there, and from there it "should" give you the option to download an older version of the app that is compatible with the older version of iOS it is running.

RE the different iPad versions, the newer iPad can run a newer version of the iOS. The older one is limited to iOS 9. ]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
why is the first ipad saying 9.3.5 is up to date, and other has choice to update to 12?

Each and every iOS device has its own specs and OS limitations and you can check out each of them here and see what they are.
Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications): EveryiPad.com

I just wish the App Store would agree with what apps are actially compatible and stop telling me with red badges that a app is available and yet when attempting to download it it says I need a later more recent iOS 10.x version to be able to run it.

Sloppy specs Apple!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Each and every iOS device has its own specs and OS limitations and you can check out each of them here and see what they are.
Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications): EveryiPad.com

I just wish the App Store would agree with what apps are actially compatible and stop telling me with red badges that a app is available and yet when attempting to download it it says I need a later more recent iOS 10.x version to be able to run it.

Sloppy specs Apple!!!

- Patrick
======
Thanks for advice Patrick and gurus. previously l said 'the other ipad Model is 'MD532ZP/A' has version 8.1.3 (12B466) doesnt allow over the air updating. it needs to be connected to itunes where l get the two choices again 'set up as new ipad' or 'restore from this backup' so guess for this ipad l have to choose one of the 2 choices to update to ios 12?' ipad model is actually ME280ZP/A seems to give me choice of updating to ios 12 as in screen shot, but needs connecting to itunes, where once again get given 2 choices to update , will it mean many of the pics and apps are lost since it hasnt been updated in my itunes for years. if this is the case l will backup the pics into me portable HD. suggestions please. l understand now that the other ipad is too old, and ios 9.3.5 is as new an update as it can be, right? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, backup whatever you don't want to lose. Any device can dies at any time, with no warning. So, if it is important to you, make sure your make the backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.