Unstable video display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processo
My Mac Workbook has developed an unstable video. The display will become 'jerky' and display heavy black vertical lines and/or gray areas. It might take a section of the display and make it blink in and out. I have runa diagnostic on the hardware and it comes back OK. It acts like something has gone wrong with the video drivers. Is there a way I can reload these drivers to correct the problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Mac Workbook has developed an unstable video.

I'm not sure what a "Mac Workbook" is;) (I'm assuming a MacBook or MacBook Pro). The video issues you are experiencing could also be a damaged video cable.

You could try booting into "Safe Mode"...and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't...could mean a hardware issue (like the video cable I mentioned).

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processo
This is a MacBook Pro. How do I boot up in the Safe Mode?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what the video distortion looks like. This time it occurred on Facebook. It also occurs on email. It only seems to happen when I am using Safari on the internet. Any help is appreciated.

The pictures I tried to post did not go in. I have screen shots I have saved as a pdf. How do I attach them to the post?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The pictures I tried to post did not go in. I have screen shots I have saved as a pdf. How do I attach them to the post?

You need to have the photos "hosted" on an internet photo hosting site (for example Photobucket.com). Then you take the web address of the photos from the hosting site & paste it here for viewing.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or you click the "Go Advanced" button below the reply box...

Then scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unstable screen

I am attaching a pdf file that shows the screen when the distortion occurred. It seems to happen when I am using Safari and has occurred when using Facebook and email.

View attachment Distorted screen.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.