Unknown device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13 running Mavericks and it is up to date.

A few days back I noticed a new device appear on finder. The device name is PC9 and I have no idea where the **** it came from. Several times now the MBP has suddenly shown a screen that says there has been an error and will reboot in so many seconds, or press any key. The machine then reboots and carries on as normal.

This morning I tried to open Open Office and it gave me a message saying that I couldn't have 2 lots of OO running at the same time and to shut down the one running on PC9. Looking at Finder just now PC9 is not shown. Nor on System Preferences, Networks.

I opened the page for my Orange Livebox router and chacked what devices are cionnected to it on WIFI and there is a PC19, but no PC9. Once again, I have no idea where it has come from so I chopped the internet access to it completely. There used to be an option to delete devices from the Livebox, but it has gone, I assume after a firmware upgrade?

Any ideas please folks? I am worried that some clown has gained access to my Mac?

Edit : - I ahve just had a thought? Not normal for me!! I have a Synology NAS box connected to the Livebox vie an ethernet cable. Is it possible that it could be generating the PC devices because when I look at the disconnected devices, ones that have been connected but are not connected at the moment, there are 5 other PC devices that have been connected.

I also forgot to say that the MBP is connected both by WIFI and ethernet as I have a very intermittent WIFI dropout problem that I have not been able to find the cause. Is this a silly way to connect and could it be causing problems? It has been like it for a fair while and not given problems before?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First: wifi or ethernet...pick one.

Not really needed, I have both connected and have set the preference to be Ethernet first and WiFi second. When I disconnect from Ethernet and move my laptop around, since I always had the WiFi connected, everything stays connected and works like it should..

This has nothing to do with the OP's problem..

@ Jonzjob, do the names PC9 and PC19 mean anything to you? Do ensure that you have adequate security on your WiFi by resetting your credentials now and see if the things happen again..

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you both for your thoughts.

Before this started a few days ago we have not had problems with the ethernet/wifi mix so I am still not sure that is the problem, but I have chopped the wifi for the moment. I will look into the wifi security tomorrow as it's heads down time here and a trip to the market in the morning!!

As far as I am awaire the limit of the reception of our router is within the bounds of our garden and when I have been helping our neighbours I haven't been able to pick up our wifi signals and I definately can't pick up any neighbouring wifi from here.

PC anything means nothing to me and I have no idea as to where they come from. There is still no PC9 or anything similar showing on Finder and I still have the PC19 blocked for any wifi connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.