UNiX BASED

M

MACBeemer

Sence OSX is Unix based shouldn't there be a way to run osx on non apple machines??? I just think its kind of weired how they are basicaly running osx ontop uf linux and it only runs on apple processors and apple computers! Think how fast the apple would be if it could use intel chip set? Just a thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
MACBeemer said:
Since OS X is Unix based shouldn't there be a way to run os x on non apple machines???

none that i know of

Think how fast the apple would be if it could use intel chip set? Just a thought
(outdated links removed)

it would be slower on an intel chip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
True it is a UNIX like OS, but it is compiled to use a PowerPC instruction set, which is totally different then an Intel instruction set. It would need to be recompiled, and most likely recoded to get it work,

OP
M

MACBeemer

ok it might not be faster

But think how cheaper it would be if you there was an open market for mother boards and processors. You could get the mac a lot cheaper if. you could use the intel chip sets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
getting the mac cheaper would mean Apple loses sales. Apple makes most of their money off hardware. They sell software and an OS to help sell their hardware. They only way they can make so many free Apps and a relatively cheaped priced OS is by making a large profit margin off hardware.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Apple make a quality product. If you were to have Apple make parts like the PC environment. You would nothing but another cheap PC. It would make hardware support more difficult, just like it is in the PC environment (you know the plug and pray situation). As MacAddikt put it Apple is in the business of selling computers, not applications. I believe the reason why Apple creates an operating system for their hardware, is to be sure they have a quality product. I don't know about you, but I have worked with various favors of operating systems. Nothing seems to work better than the OS that is built for the hardware (i.e. sgi - IRIX, IBM - AIX, sun - solaris, etc.).

Also I don't believe that Apple's Mac OS X is aqua setting on top of a linux kernal.

All in all, I buy Apple product because I get more value for my money. I currently have Apple hardware that is more than 10 years old, and is still working fine as the day I bought it. None of the PC I have had are still working. I wonder why? :confused:

OP
M

MACBeemer

Well

How long should a suspect my iMac should last me? I had a pc i didnt by the greats or latest but i didn't do that with the imac eather and that pc only last 2 years. And it could hardly do anything! Even browsing the internet was slow! One more question over that 2 years of having a pc i reformated my pc at least 4 or 5 times! How often do some you guys have to reinstall the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
MACBeemer said:
How long should a suspect my iMac should last me? I had a pc i didnt by the greats or latest but i didn't do that with the imac eather and that pc only last 2 years. And it could hardly do anything! Even browsing the internet was slow!

I have an Apple 7600 (200 mhz, 24mb RAM, 1GB harddrive) from 1995 that i can get on AIM, IRC chats, browse the net, write letters, check email, and trying to set it up as a print server. It's running Mac OS 8.6 and Yellow Dog linux 2.1.

just to give you an idea of how long stuff will work. it it much much slower than my 800mhz G4 iMac, but it still functions, and if i dont try to hack it so much (linux, themes, etc) i would never need to reinstall the OS.

One more question over that 2 years of having a pc i reformated my pc at least 4 or 5 times! How often do some you guys have to reinstall the OS?

I've never done a complete re-install (knock on wood) on my iMac. I've only had it for half a year, but it works just as good as the day i got it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I have had 10.2, I have never re-installed. Only when a get a major release do I do a fresh install. A good example is when I get Panther, I will do A fresh install. I really don't alter the OS much from the manufacturer set defaults.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, i have an iMac 233mhz, still in use...(1998)
a 733mhz g4 which is also in use... (2001)
a iMac 333mhz which is my brothers.. (1999-2000)
my imac i suspect will last me just as long as a computer ill use, but i know ill upgrade anyways just because i value them so high :D

ps. i have a LCIII and a Quadra 660av which are all from early 90's and Still work like a charm.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like Graphite, I have several Apples still in use or usable. I have a Mac SE/30 (got it when it first can out, still usable), Power Mac G3 233Mhz, still in use (1997), iBook 500Mhz, and a powerbook G4 500Mhz. All are used every day except for the SE/30.

OP
M

MACBeemer

Wow

You guys are really true to your macs do you guys also have windows machines or are you completely mac people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Ive had my PC or 2... well no just 1... and i hated every living day of its life...

OP
H

hokiethang

MACBeemer said:
You guys are really true to your macs do you guys also have windows machines or are you completely mac people?

I have 2 linux machines, 2 windows machines and a titanium powerbook. I will be purchasing either a new dual g4 or a dual g5 next year after i finish paying for the powerbook. 1 of the linux machines is a file server and one of the windows machines is an application server. The other windows machine runs windows 2003 server, and is my gaming machine. Thats the only thing i use it for, games.

And at work, I have 6 linux servers, a linux desktop, and a windows desktop. Consequently, the windows desktop at work was also built for gaming...

(i have a very boring job :-( )

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a ibm thinkpad running windows 2000 pro, that is provided to me by my employer. I also have at work two Unix boxes, a IBM workstation (AIX) and a sgi workstation (IRIX).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.