Uninstall Yosemite

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a popup offering Yosemite 10.10 free from the Apps store. I downloaded it and now everything is screwed up. First I could not connect to the internet but I just got that sorted out. A remaining problem is I cannot open any Microsoft Office applications. With both Word and Excel I get a message "Power PC operations are no longer supported".

My first preference is to uninstall Yosemite and go back to the 10.9 I was on. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What version of Microsoft Office are you running on your Mac ?
Looks like you have a very old version running that is no longer supported on Yosemite ( and was not even supported on Mavericks for that matter )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
What version of Microsoft Office are you running on your Mac ?
Looks like you have a very old version running that is no longer supported on Yosemite ( and was not even supported on Mavericks for that matter )

Cheers ... McBie

I am running Office 2004 and both Word and Excel are 11.5.0. They were supported by OS 10.9. There are a numbe rof things I dislike about Yosemite and would like to uninstall it and go back to my previous OS. Is there a way to do that?

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Office 2004 will not run on Yosemite and this was known since the Yosemite beta releases, so not to blame apple for the app crashing.
I am in doubt if Office 2004 ever ran on Mavericks as well ... not sure.
You can go back to your previous OS if you created a bootable clone of your disk prior to installing Yosemite.
Or you could install Mavericks if you have a bootable thumb drive with the Mavericks installer.

Cheers ... McBie

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is unlikely that you have Office 2004 working within OS X 10.9. Office 2004 needs PowerPC support which was available through Rosetta until OS X 10.7 Lion when that support was discontinued. That particular error message should have been there with OS X 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10..

Anyway, if you want to revert to Mavericks and you purchased it previously, go to the Mac App Store and look at Purchases. Then grab the Mavericks installer, you will want to NOT install Mavericks from there by rather create a bootable USB drive (search Google for the guide) and then restart your Mac and boot from the USB drive. First thing is to do remove all partitions on your HD and create a new one and then go through the Mavericks installation..

Make sure you backup your data and you cannot use Time Machine to restore any of your data. You will want to create a new Time Machine backup if you are using that with Mavericks..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am running Office 2004 and both Word and Excel are 11.5.0. They were supported by OS 10.9. There are a numbe rof things I dislike about Yosemite and would like to uninstall it and go back to my previous OS. Is there a way to do that?

poppi

You weren't running Office 2004 as it won't even install unless you're running 10.6.8 or an earlier version of OS X. You're likely running Office 2008 which some folks are having a problem with it in Yosemite. No fixes from MS are forth coming for Office 2008 as MS prepares Office 2015 for release next year.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just for reference, I'm using Office 2011 on my rMBP with Yosemite and it works fine..

OP
P
Reaction score
You weren't running Office 2004 as it won't even install unless you're running 10.6.8 or an earlier version of OS X. You're likely running Office 2008 which some folks are having a problem with it in Yosemite. No fixes from MS are forth coming for Office 2008 as MS prepares Office 2015 for release next year.

I think you are correct and I misspoke. I have no doubt I am running Office 2004 but I do believe I was at 10.6.8 which is why the Microsoft 2004 worked until I made the unfortunate error of downloading Yosemite. Now I need to figure out how to revert to 10.6.8

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
poppi not only Yosemite, but Lion OS X.7, Mountain Lion OS X.8 and Mavericks OS X.9 will not run old PowerPC applications such as Office 2004. Forgive me fior saying this, but it is the result of being so far behind. Too much of a jump at one go.

If you have the original Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD, you can always boot from that, erase the drive and re-install. I really do think the best option however is use Libre Office (free) until Office 2015 comes along next year and perservere with Yosemite. Snow Leopard has no Security Updates to come as Apple have stopped support.

OP
P
Reaction score
poppi not only Yosemite, but Lion OS X.7, Mountain Lion OS X.8 and Mavericks OS X.9 will not run old PowerPC applications such as Office 2004. Forgive me fior saying this, but it is the result of being so far behind. Too much of a jump at one go.

If you have the original Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD, you can always boot from that, erase the drive and re-install. I really do think the best option however is use Libre Office (free) until Office 2015 comes along next year and perservere with Yosemite. Snow Leopard has no Security Updates to come as Apple have stopped support.

You are correct - I was at snow leopard 10.6.8. I do have the original DVD and ideally would like to revert to that 10.6.8 O/S version but I am quite ignorant in this area so have some questions:

1) How do I boot from the original DVD?
2) When you say "erase the drive" do you mean the iMac hard drive? How do I do that and if I do will I lose everything on the drive (iPhoto files, word and excel files, etc)?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I don't want to make a fatal error. If I can get back to Snow Leopard and keep all my history I will be quite satisfied with that

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You are correct - I was at snow leopard 10.6.8. I do have the original DVD and ideally would like to revert to that 10.6.8 O/S version but I am quite ignorant in this area so have some questions:

1) How do I boot from the original DVD?
2) When you say "erase the drive" do you mean the iMac hard drive? How do I do that and if I do will I lose everything on the drive (iPhoto files, word and excel files, etc)?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I don't want to make a fatal error. If I can get back to Snow Leopard and keep all my history I will be quite satisfied with that

Hello Poppi - well, whether you've already made a 'fatal error' after installing Yosemite is not yet determined. First, do you have any type of backup (BU) of your computer's HD, e.g. Time Machine or cloned bootable BU - if not, you really need to get your important data onto an external storage device, such as a HD and/or USB drive.

Second, please provide information on your computer's specs (year/model; RAM; free space on HD; built-in optical drive, etc.). As to a Snow Leopard (SL) disc, this can be purchased through the Apple Store (online or locally) for $20 - check HERE - you will need to boot from the SL disc using your computer's optical drive, if present, or an external one. Let me stop there to allow you to respond and ask further questions, as needed. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow Dave's advice poppi and all will be well. The only problem going back to OS X.6 is that it is no longer supported by Apple, and no Secuirty or Software Updates since September 2013. To bootfrom the OS X>6 DVD, pop it ibn, reboot and hold down 'C;immediately after the chime, leave the ~Installer and go to utilities in the Menu Bar and select Erase and everything will be qwiped, back to Installer and proceed.

When finished and online download the OS X.6.8 Combo Updater and install:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Be patient with it poppi as from memory it is about 800MB!

And remember poppi there are no dumb questions ~ just dumb answers sometimes!

M

MacInWin

And poppi, before you do what Harry says, be aware that yes, everything on the drive is going to be erased, so you need to backup or move it all someplace safe on an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
A remaining problem is I cannot open any Microsoft Office applications. With both Word and Excel I get a message "Power PC operations are no longer supported".
poppi

If that is your only problem, and you need MS Office, buy a later version or use Apple office type applications.

OP
P
Reaction score
Follow Dave's advice poppi and all will be well. The only problem going back to OS X.6 is that it is no longer supported by Apple, and no Secuirty or Software Updates since September 2013. To bootfrom the OS X>6 DVD, pop it ibn, reboot and hold down 'C;immediately after the chime, leave the ~Installer and go to utilities in the Menu Bar and select Erase and everything will be qwiped, back to Installer and proceed.

When finished and online download the OS X.6.8 Combo Updater and install:-

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Be patient with it poppi as from memory it is about 800MB!

And remember poppi there are no dumb questions ~ just dumb answers sometimes!

With that thought, here are some hopefully intelligent questions.

I have an external hard drive which has 4 TB capacity, 3.5 TB available. It is a G drive. At the moment it houses my time machine backups and all iMovie activity. My Mac hard drive has 250 GB capacity with 80 GB available. The majority of that is iPhoto files. Here is what I think I need to do.

1) Create a folder in the G drive called Temporary
2) Drag all the folders from the Mac drive to the G drive temporary folder. I tried that on "Library" and "Applications" and both are now present in both drives. I would plan on dragging all the remaining folders to the G drive.
3) I would then follow your instructions about booting from the 10.6 DVD, erase the Mac hard drive, etc.

Does this sound right to you? I am leery about destroying my files so want to be careful

Thanx for all the support

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
Follow Dave's advice poppi and all will be well. The only problem going back to OS X.6 is that it is no longer supported by Apple, and no Secuirty or Software Updates since September 2013. To boot from the OS X>6 DVD, pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C;immediately after the chime, leave the ~Installer and go to utilities in the Menu Bar and select Erase and everything will be wiped, back to Installer and proceed.

I assume you mean Disk Utility where I see an erase tab after selecting the hard drive. I have copied everything on the hard drive to my 4 TB EHD so will follow your instructions as soon as you answer this, my final question.

Thanx very much

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is right poppi.

After booting from OS X.6, leave the Installer and go to utilities in the Menu Bar, Disk utility and the hit Erase. You cannot erase a drive you are booted from, hence the need for the OS X.6 DVD.

Did you give any thought to updating Office rather than going back to Snow Leopard? Mavericks and Yosemite are much,much more secure than Snow Leopard.

OP
P
Reaction score
That is right poppi.

After booting from OS X.6, leave the Installer and go to utilities in the Menu Bar, Disk utility and the hit Erase. You cannot erase a drive you are booted from, hence the need for the OS X.6 DVD.

Did you give any thought to updating Office rather than going back to Snow Leopard? Mavericks and Yosemite are much,much more secure than Snow Leopard.

OK - I did as suggested and it worked. I ended up with quite a few things I had to update but most of those are done.

I did think of updating Office but I have used later versions at the work place and much prefer the 2004 version. That, plus all the problems I had with Yosemite, make me reluctant to upgrade anything. I know this puts me at risk but I can live with that for now.

Thanx a million for all your help. Could not have done it without you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Be sure to download the Combo Updater for 10.6 from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Course you could have poppi - just a little hand holding was all!

One great thing is you learn a lot doing clean installs eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.