Unarchiver

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to StuffIt because, for me, it sucks.
I want something that can handle common formats (sit, zip, rar...) and possibly for free :eek:

Any recommendations?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm looking for an alternative to StuffIt because, for me, it sucks.
I want something that can handle common formats (sit, zip, rar...) and possibly for free :eek:

Any recommendations?

I've been using Zipeg for a few weeks now and like it quite a bit. I'm not sure if it handles SIT files, but it handles ZIP and RAR just fine. I could be wrong on this, but I believe SIT is proprietary to StuffIt and you may have to bite the bullet and use it for just that file type.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks!!

It doesn't support SIT, but that's ok.
I really don't like the interface, that is not ok :p

I'll give it a try anyway, at least for the meantime. StuffIT is really getting on my nerves, the finder does not always show the files I unarchive with it.

EDIT: It's actually really good, and you can disable old and ugly brushed metal :D

Thanks again!
Fede.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
The Unarchiver

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

That app seems to work for me. It's worth a try.

ahh, you beat me to it. I suppose I could still point out the irony that the topic title is the answer to the question.

To create archives, you can do this through right clicks in finder, or for (slightly) more advanced features, you could try CleanArchiver. I used it a little, and it worked well for me.

OP
F
Reaction score
The problem with the unarchiver is that it doesn't let me view the files without extracting them :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.